Re: [xt6] Steering fix

  • twocam@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2001
      I want to thank StevePKT177 for his detailed fix. He helped me. Here's
      another method.
      Piece of cake. The brushes (2), Subaru Part#31266GA340, finally came
      in. I still don't have a shop manual, but the fix is straight forward.
      I started by laying a folded moving blanket across the engine. No need
      to open the fluid lines or lose a drop of fluid in any way. Disconnect
      the battery, disconnect all electrical wiring to the steering pump,
      remove the 2 mounting bolts and 4 mounting nuts, loosen the clamp (1
      bolt) that holds the power steering lines on the right fender area, set
      the pump on the blanket, remove the remaining (2) 10mm nuts and washers
      from the aluminum cap on the end of the steering motor, lightly pry the
      aluminum cap off with a screwdriver (slots are there for that purpose),
      the brushes are attached to the cap in your hand, blow all the old brush
      dust from the motor with compressed air or your lungs, replace the 2
      brushes and reverse the procedure.
      I fired the motor and the power steering light went OUT (the light's
      been on nearly constant for the 2 weeks I've owned the car). I now have
      full time power steering and a great, low mileage 1989 XT6.
      Sid...aka..aka..