7429Re: [XSL-FO] calling the SAX handler directly

  • J.Pietschmann
    Jul 27, 2008
      Schonberger Andras wrote:
      > Apologies if my question is naive. Can I call the methods of FOP's SAX
      > handler directly ?

      You can call the handler directly. In fact in many cases it is
      better than building an XML string and feed it through a parser.
      It is, however, more common to build a DOM using a simple XML
      vocabulary (rather than XSLFO) and pass it to an XSL transformation
      which generates the XSLFO. Feeding a XSL Transforamtion with
      SAX events also happens, there are quite a few applications where
      some events map smoothly to SAX events, like parsing data files or
      feeding database tables into a processing stream. Generating SAX
      events for XSLFO directly is more outlandish.

      Generating SAX events can be tricky, because you have to guarantee
      the proper sequence of events, including startDocument etc. It is
      easy to generate some out of sequence events, which will in general
      lead to strange effects downstream. Be prepared for some long debug
      sessions. The easiest way to debug a SAX event generator is probably
      to serialize the event stream as XML document.

      J.Pietschmann
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic