Install XOSL on existing Windows 2000

  • lonewolf12722000
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
      It has been a long time since i did this stuff and i forget if i can install XOSL on a HD that just has win2000 on it. If i do, and install XOSL in its own small partiton would i wipe out windows? My goal is to the create a small FreeDos partition for some old progs. Anyone know how i can do this? Thanks.
    • Sezor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2013
        No problem.
        If you add a new partition, that won't affect the win2000 one.
        You can put xosl where you want, but having one for it and
        one for FreeDos isn't a bad idea.
        Remembering that 4 is the max primary partitions, so if you
        want more than three in total you'll need to allot one of
        the 4 to an extended partition - which can have any number
        of logical partitions.

        lonewolf12722000 wrote:
        > It has been a long time since i did this stuff and i forget if i can install XOSL on a HD that just has win2000 on it. If i do, and install XOSL in its own small partiton would i wipe out windows? My goal is to the create a small FreeDos partition for some old progs. Anyone know how i can do this? Thanks.

      • Sergio Bianchi
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
          If your goal is to run old DOS programs my suggestion is: don't use XOSL use DOSBox

          It has been a long time since i did this stuff and i forget if i can install XOSL on a HD that just has win2000 on it. If i do, and install XOSL in its own small partiton would i wipe out windows? My goal is to the create a small FreeDos partition for some old progs. Anyone know how i can do this? Thanks.

        • Dan R
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
            Thanks for your reply. Ok i'll make a couple 300mb DOS partitions with ranish and probably one extended and put them in XOSL, that should work?

            Dan R

            lonewolf12722000 wrote:
            > It has been a long time since i did this stuff and i forget if i can install XOSL on a HD that just has win2000 on it. If i do, and install XOSL in its own small partiton would i wipe out windows? My goal is to the create a small FreeDos partition for some old progs. Anyone know how i can do this? Thanks.

            Dan R

            _______________________

          • Sezor
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
              Sure, but xosl also can create its own small private
              partition for itself (and nothing else).
              Can't remember its status - 1ary or 2ary - but if
              the latter it doesn't eat into the 4 allowed.

              Dan R wrote:

              > Thanks for your reply. Ok i'll make a couple 300mb DOS partitions with
              > ranish and probably one extended and put them in XOSL, that should work?
              >
              > Dan R
              >

              > No problem.
              > If you add a new partition, that won't affect the win2000 one.
              > You can put xosl where you want, but having one for it and
              > one for FreeDos isn't a bad idea.
              > Remembering that 4 is the max primary partitions, so if you
              > want more than three in total you'll need to allot one of
              > the 4 to an extended partition - which can have any number
              > of logical partitions.
              >
              > lonewolf12722000 wrote:
              >> It has been a long time since i did this stuff and i forget if i can
              > install XOSL on a HD that just has win2000 on it. If i do, and install
              > XOSL in its own small partiton would i wipe out windows? My goal is to
              > the create a small FreeDos partition for some old progs. Anyone know how
              > i can do this? Thanks.
              >
              > *Dan R*

              > *
              > *

            • frewf
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
                Xosl may be installed after an operating system has been installed without damaging the existing operating system. I have done it many times. Pay attention to any warning that may come up. I do not recall any catastrophic ones. If you are interested in re-patitioning the hard drtive non destructively, there are many applications which do this. i prefer partition magic 7. i have never had a problem with it. you do have the option of placing xosl oin its own partition or occupying the same partion as your main.