Off Group topic for the nerds among us :)

  • chrisbown
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2010
      ok guys here is where i am...first i got here when my computer locked up and after trying everything i was forced to manually cut power to the laptop to shut it down... when i restart i get error no harddrive found or something to that nature....the drive is partitioned into C with logicals D and E..everything seems in order and ill just copy an image back to C ...but first i need to get in there and get some data...when i hook this dive up to my desktop system with my 180g multi partitioned HDD the little lappy drive is not recognized? is this cause its still flagged the active drive? anyway im just trying to figure out how to get in and get that data...any help would be appreciated...thanks Chris
    • AntAgna
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2010
        --- In xosl@yahoogroups.com, "chrisbown" <chrisbrown@...> wrote:

        > ok guys here is where i am...first i got here when my computer locked up and after trying everything i was forced to manually cut power to the laptop to shut it down... when i restart i get error no harddrive found or something to that nature....the drive is partitioned into C with logicals D and E..everything seems in order and ill just copy an image back to C ...but first i need to get in there and get some data...when i hook this dive up to my desktop system with my 180g multi partitioned HDD the little lappy drive is not recognized? is this cause its still flagged the active drive? anyway im just trying to figure out how to get in and get that data...any help would be appreciated...thanks Chris

        If you are using SATA, it sounds like a broken HD. A laptop SATA drive should work fine on a desktop. Just to make sure, you need to reboot for the drive to be recognised. Also, does the BIOS see the drive ?

        If it is a mini-IDE, maybe it is your adaptor that does not work well or something.

        I would try booting with a Linux Live CD on the laptop and look at the boot messages for any storage device error message and then I would try mounting it read only.

        If it does not give it a device name, drive is most probably dead.
        If it does but does not mount, you can try recovery software.
        If you can mount it, you should be able to get your files.

        Antoine
      • Robyn
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2010
          Hello Chris,

          > ok guys here is where i am...first i got here when my computer locked
          > up and after trying everything i was forced to manually cut power to
          > the laptop to shut it down... when i restart i get error no harddrive
          > found or something to that nature....the drive is partitioned into C
          > with logicals D and E..everything seems in order and ill just copy
          > an image back to C ...but first i need to get in there and get some
          > data...when i hook this dive up to my desktop system with my 180g
          > multi partitioned HDD the little lappy drive is not recognized? is
          > this cause its still flagged the active drive? anyway im just trying
          > to figure out how to get in and get that data...any help would be
          > appreciated...thanks Chris

          It would greatly help to know how you have setup your Laptop. Whilst you
          state that it is a multi-boot setup, I believe that it could be very
          relevant to know what you are using to manage the boot sequence, what O/Ss
          you are using and what you used to partition your drive.

          Antoine has made some points with regards to your BIOS and what type of
          drive/interface you are using too.

          'Sound' (sol_403, no other name shown or signed) posted a guide last year on
          this group to help most people setup a new PC or Laptop with XOSL. I would
          certainly recommend that you review it as it may help identify where your
          problem originates from, providing that you are using XOSL as your boot
          manager.

          Yours,
          Robyn
        • chrisbown
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2010
            Sorry i wasn't more exact..first off this is not a multi boot hard drive ..it is a mini ide 16gb drive running XP Pro sp2..the bios does see it and part man sees it and its logical drives so i don't think its dead..when i hooked it to my desktop i plugged it into the secondary ide connector where my optical drive normally is plugged..so im thinking maybe since the drive is flagged as the active drive from being in the lappy and since the desktop is looking at it second its just ignoring it..its just a thought..i don't get why it stopped working only maybe that a boot file got trashed when i turned it off..i think the mbr is ok anyway i didn't mean to bother folks here as i know this issue doesn't even have anything to do with multi boot but i just thought there were a lot of great minds hanging out here so thought someone might just have some ideas...again Mahalos and Alohas all...Chris
          • AntAgna
            Message 5 of 6 , May 12, 2010
              --- In xosl@yahoogroups.com, "chrisbown" <chrisbrown@...> wrote:

              > Sorry i wasn't more exact..first off this is not a multi boot hard drive ..it is a mini ide 16gb drive running XP Pro sp2..the bios does see it and part man sees it and its logical drives so i don't think its dead

              Good

              > ..when i hooked it to my desktop i plugged it into the secondary ide connector where my optical drive normally is plugged..

              So you are using some kind of an adaptor for this. I have often heard about mini-IDE to IDE adaptors not working with every drive.

              > so im thinking maybe since the drive is flagged as the active drive from being in the lappy and since the desktop is looking at it second its just ignoring it..its just a thought..

              The drive should still be seen

              > i don't get why it stopped working only maybe that a boot file got trashed when i turned it off..i think the mbr is ok anyway i didn't mean to bother folks here as i know this issue doesn't even have anything to do with multi boot but i just thought there were a lot of great minds hanging out here so thought someone might just have some ideas...again Mahalos and Alohas all...Chris

              Windows XP mbr and boot files do not normally get corrupted this way but you can try repairing them. They can be repaired by booting off the Windows CD in recovery console and using the commands fixmbr and fixboot. These should not erase anything but you should try getting the files you need off that drive before trying it just to be sure.
            • robyn_peel
              Message 6 of 6 , May 13, 2010
                Hello Chris

                > Sorry i wasn't more exact..first off this is not a multi boot hard drive ..it is a mini ide 16gb drive running XP Pro sp2..

                As Antoine has said 'Good'

                Whilst a multi-boot system can be wonderful, if you are not familiar with PCs or O/Ss, things can become very complicated when they go wrong.

                I trust the solution has worked?

                > ..its just a thought..i don't get why it stopped working only maybe
                > that a boot file got trashed when i turned it off..i think the mbr is
                > ok anyway i didn't mean to bother folks here as i know this issue
                > doesn't even have anything to do with multi boot but i just thought
                > there were a lot of great minds hanging out here so thought someone
                > might just have some ideas...again Mahalos and Alohas all...Chris

                As for picking the brains of people, I'm not a moderator on this group, so I'm not in a position to tell anyone off for going off-topic. The original message wasn't that clear as to the solution though.

                Good luck,
                Robyn