I love XOSL because:

  • Philip Schetrompf
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      I just had to post this.

      I've been using XOSL on my main computer for several years now and I
      continue to be amazed at just how capable and easy to use it is. It's
      not just great freeware, it's better than anything else I've used so far.

      My current setup is 2 SCSI drives and 2 IDE drives and CDROM.
      I have Windows 98SE on the first SCSI drive, DOS 6.22 and WFWG 3.11 on
      the first primary partition on the second SCSI drive. PCBSD is on the
      second primary partion on the second SCSI drive. On several logical
      partitions within a Microsoft extended partition on the first IDE
      drive I have Debian based Ubuntu Linux, Slackware based Mutagenix
      Linux and Damn Small Linux. The second IDE drive is for shared
      storage. My BIOS is set to boot CD, then SCSI, then IDE.
      I use XOSL to boot Windows, DOS directly and the BTX bootloader on the
      BSD partition for BSD and boot the GRUB bootloader on my Linux drive
      from which I then choose the flavor of Linux I want to run. If I want
      to boot to a CD I just pop it in and reboot.

      It all works flawlessly and wasn't really hard to set up. In fact it
      took me longer to set up GRUB to boot the different Linux's than it
      took to set up XOSL.

      The reason I used GRUB for Linux and BTX for BSD is because I wanted
      my first boot choices to be DOS, Windows, Linux or BSD. I choose which
      Linux after GRUB starts or which BSD after BTX starts.

      I know there's people who try to see just how many OS's they can have
      on one computer and that's fun in it's own way, but I made this post
      because with XOSL it doesn't have to be difficult or complicated to be
      able to run several very different OS's each with thier own file
      systems and have full functionality even with a hodge-podge of
      hardware like I have.
      Millions have paid good money for software that can't do half of what
      XOSL does nor look near as good doing it.

      BIG KUDOS to Geurt Vos
    • dknapp11
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2006
        That is good to hear. How long does it typically take to get answers
        or see your posting appear? Do you know of any good utilities that can
        take a non-working WinXP/ME dual-boot install and get it to work?
      • Vincent Kivits
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2006
          You mean XOSL is not dual booting Win XP and Win ME?
          1/ Norton Ghost your HDD1 to HDD2 (Make sure it copied to HDD2)
          2/ Slate clean HDD1
          3/ Make 4 Partitions on HDD1 using Ranish Partition Manager 2.5GB for ME 3.2GB for XP, The third partition for storage, leaving the last cylinder for XOSL partition.
          4/ In RPM, make first partition active with the "B" Flag, then hide the other partitions using the "H" Key. Make sure you number the partitions so you won't have to re-enter them in the MBR. (Copy Cylinder Head Start and Cylinder Head End on paper so your work won't be lost).
          5/ Press "F2" to save to the MBR
          6/ Load Win ME (Remember: the active partition is always C:! Make sure it boots after loading)
          7/ Then Flag "B" in RPM for the second partition intended for XP. (Remember: the active partition is always C:! Make sure it boots after loading)
          8/ Load XOSL in the 4th partition. (You only need one cylinder for this. Also, when making the 4th partition, press the Ins Key and choose Boot Manager.)