Re: [xosl] Can XOSL be installed from CD?

  • Dave Howe
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 16, 2004
      Mark wrote:
      > But then I realised that the answer is NO. XOSL likes to write a
      > file to the floppy disk as part of the installation. It doesn't like
      > you ignoring this part, hence you can't use the write-protect tab on
      > the floppy disk.
      you can modify bart's boot disk to allow this - as it builds a ramdisk and
      unzips its exes there, it is trivial to have it run xosl from a ramdisk
      (where it can modify the "local disk" to its heart's content, without the
      changes being preserved of course)

      > So until you can get a program that will allow you to write to a CD-R
      > or RW from DOS, It will not work.
      >
      > Jon Goldsmith's suggestion of using an external floppy drive is the
      > best if you have no internal floppy drive, but you will need one
      > which does not connect via the USB port. You still need to boot into
      > DOS to install XOSL. DOS does not recognise USB devices.
      >
      > Good luck,
      >
      > Mark T.

    • tphil34
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
        Yes, I confirm that XOSL can be installed from a CD
        I did like this :

        - boot from a DOS boot CD (I use Hi***'s boot CD). This CD creates a R:
        ramdisk
        - copy XOSL files from XOSL CD to R:
        - launch INSTALL.EXE from R:

        It works perfectly
      • Dermot Moynihan
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 21, 2006
          That's a good idea but I would question the use of the word "perfectly" ;)
          When you reboot you lose the ramdrive and consequently, it would appear,
          one's ability to use the "restore" facility that comes from using a floppy.
          rgds
          Dermot

          tphil34 wrote:
          > Yes, I confirm that XOSL can be installed from a CD
          > I did like this :
          >
          > - boot from a DOS boot CD (I use Hi***'s boot CD). This CD creates a R:
          > ramdisk
          > - copy XOSL files from XOSL CD to R:
          > - launch INSTALL.EXE from R:
          >
          > It works perfectly

        • Dan Goodell
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 21, 2006
            --- In xosl@yahoogroups.com, Dermot Moynihan <der_moyn@...> wrote:
            > > Yes, I confirm that XOSL can be installed from a CD
            > > This CD creates a R: ramdisk
            > > - copy XOSL files from XOSL CD to R:
            > > - launch INSTALL.EXE from R:
            > > It works perfectly
            >
            > That's a good idea but I would question the use of the
            > word "perfectly" ;)

            Also stretches the definition of "installing from CD."

            I do the same thing, except I copy the XOSL files from CD to a DOS
            partition, then run install.exe from there. Does that mean I'm
            installing from CD? <grin>
          • tphil34
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 25, 2006
              @Dermot Moynihan
              "[you loose the] restore facility that comes from using a floppy"
              You are right, but I do not care about this restore facility, since I
              can re-install in less than one minute

              @Dan Goodell
              "Does that mean I'm installing from CD? "
              Yes, but with the ramdrive you even do not need a DOS partition (except
              the one for XOSL)
            • tphil34

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 25, 2006
                  tphil34 wrote:
                  > @Dermot Moynihan
                  > "[you loose the] restore facility that comes from using a floppy"

                  Huh? I said "loose"? Neverrrrrrrr, sir!
                  ;)
                  And having straightened that out I gotta dash. Got a world to save:
                  http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/index.htm

                  cheers
                  Dermot
                • Santanu Chakraborty
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 23, 2008
                    Hi

                    The main problem is XOSL would like to write backup files during
                    installation and you cannot write on the installation CD.

                    Either you could have a bootable CD with XOSL files or use UBCD
                    (Ultimate Boot CD)

                    Make a partition for XOSL, you could run Ranish PM from the UBCD.

                    You have to boot from your cd and install a DOS boot, this will give
                    you a RAM drive. (In UBCD you could start the install of XOSL but
                    abort before the last step when it is asking to start
                    installation)(Direct installation won't work)

                    You have to copy the XOSL files from your bootable CD to your newly
                    created RAM drive by 'XCOPY' command.

                    Next CD (change directory) to your RAM drive XOSL folder and run install.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Thanks
                  • Leyden68
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 28, 2008

                      Thanks, I think I get the picture - RAM DRV as a 'stepping stone'.......

                      From: Santanu Chakraborty <santanoo@...>
                      Subject: [xosl] Re: Can XOSL be installed from CD? Yes !! Pretty easy
                      To: xosl@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 9:01 AM

                      Hi

                      The main problem is XOSL would like to write backup files during
                      installation and you cannot write on the installation CD.

                      Either you could have a bootable CD with XOSL files or use UBCD
                      (Ultimate Boot CD)

                      Make a partition for XOSL, you could run Ranish PM from the UBCD.

                      You have to boot from your cd and install a DOS boot, this will give
                      you a RAM drive. (In UBCD you could start the install of XOSL but
                      abort before the last step when it is asking to start
                      installation) (Direct installation won't work)

                      You have to copy the XOSL files from your bootable CD to your newly
                      created RAM drive by 'XCOPY' command.

                      Next CD (change directory) to your RAM drive XOSL folder and run install.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Thanks

                    • Antoine Wells Campagna
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 30, 2008
                        --- In xosl@yahoogroups.com, Leyden68 <leyden68@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks, I think I get the picture - RAM DRV as a 'stepping
                        stone'.......

                        Did somebody do an install script that would do this on its own ?
                        XOSL would be more appealing if it was easier to install on new
                        computers that don't have any floppy reader.

                        If there is not one already, I'll make one.

                        Antoine
                      • phaneendra_rao
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                          --- In xosl@yahoogroups.com, "ks_rockmail" <ks_rockmail@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Sir,
                          >
                          > I have been using XOSL for about 2 years. It is really a good
                          > product. I just wonder that whether or not the XOSL can be
                          installed
                          > from CD? It is because my notebook does not come with a floppy
                          drive.

                          > I have tried to save it into CD-RW, however, it failed to install
                          the
                          > program. Actually, it could start the XOSL program from the CD,
                          but
                          > when it came to start the "Install on a dedicated partition". An
                          > error massage appeared, saying that:-
                          >
                          > Creating data fileĀ….failed
                          > Unable to create XOSLDATA.XDF
                          > Install error
                          >
                          > What should I do if my notebook does not come with a floppy drive?
                          >
                          > Thank you very much!
                          >
                          > Best regards
                          > KS

                          During Installation as the backup files cannot be written to the cd,
                          you get the above error.
                          \
                          Copy the xo0sl folder to the C or D partition, if you have one and
                          install xosl by going into DOS mode. You will not have any problem.
                          you can have backup readily available on your PC, in case of
                          restoration.