Re: [xosl] Re: Installing XP, w2k & 98se without Ghost

  • audioaficionado@charter.net
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 1, 2003
      On 1 Aug 2003 at 3:02, nobody1261 wrote:

      > Here's an installation sequence for example, starting from a blank,
      > unpartitioned disk:
      >
      > (1) Boot from floppy, fdisk (DOS/Win9x version), create and format
      > FAT32 partition of desired size for Win98.
      >
      > (2) Install Win98. Test that 98 boots properly.
      >
      > (3) Boot from floppy, ptedit, change partition type to "hidden FAT32".
      >
      > (4) Boot from Win2K CD, create partition of desired size and format
      > in unallocated space for Win2K.
      >
      > (5) Install Win2K. Test that 2K boot properly.
      >
      > (6) Boot from floppy, ptedit, change partition type of Win2K to
      > hidden.
      >
      > (7) Boot from XP CD, create partition of desired size and format in
      > unallocated space for XP. Make sure to leave a little space (16MB)
      > for an XOSL partition.
      >
      > (8) Install XP. Test that XP boots properly.
      >
      > (9) At this point, you can use ptedit to selectively set one
      > partition unhidden and "active" (boot flag 80h) while hiding all
      > others, and the active partition will be the one that boots. Try it -
      > - you should be able this way to retest that each OS boots properly.
      > An even easier method of switching the active partition is with
      > pqboot.exe, a tiny PowerQuest utility that does the same thing in two
      > keystrokes.
      >
      > (10) Finally, install XOSL. First you have to create a FAT partition
      > out of the remaining space left in step 7. Then install XOSL to a
      > dedicated partition, using that last partition. Reboot into XOSL and
      > add boot items for the three OS's, making sure to hide the partitions
      > from each other.
      >

      > Dan Goodell
      > www.goodells.net/multiboot

      Thanx Dan,

      So I could use the Western Digital utility or Fdisk to partition and format the FAT32
      and FAT16 partitions ahead of time. Then use ptedit or pqboot.exe to hide all
      others except the partition up to bat so to speak. When it comes time to install the
      NT operating systems, I can convert the FAT32 to NTFS durring the installation. I'd
      use ptedit or pqboot.exe to hide all but the test OS to see if it boots. If they all boot,
      then install XSOL on its dedicated FAT16 partition and the MBR and it will manage
      the jump to the boot files on each partition after I set it up. Linux can have GRUB
      or LILO on the Linux partition instead of the MBR. XSOL should be the only boot
      manager on the MBR when I'm done.

      If I hide all other OS from each other for boot purposes, will I still be able to access
      all but Linux partitions, folders and files with the NT OS after I'm fully booted up?

      BTW do people use Ghost because it's easier to drop each OS installed image to a
      partition and not need to hide them from each other?

      Steve
    • doc_chiron
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 12, 2003
        > If anyone gets credit, it should probably be either Steve Gibson or
        > Peter Norton -- both were doing seminal work in demystifying disk
        > structures at the time. (Ah, memories ... remember MFM? RLL? Sector
        > Interleaving?)
        >
        > I don't think DOS ever insisted on being the only primary volume on
        > the disk, but it did expect there would be only one primary *DOS*
        > volume. In fact, I think that fdisk permitted non-DOS partitions
        > from the early days because it was expected some folks might be
        > using CP/M. > Dan Goodell

        I needs COPY, therefore I PIP!

        Alan Shugart, former IBM floppy engr, left his namesake Shugart
        Associates because he wanted to make 5.25" hard drives and I
        don't think the company wanted to support him in that, so he
        left and formed Shugart Technology! The lawsuit was quick to follow.
        Fine he says; we'll just rename it Seagate Technology (only a 3
        letter change on their signs and looks real close too)!

        SpinRite: I use to this day (v5 now),
        but thankfully the drives are a LOT better now!
        Norton Utilities "DiskEdit" - so simle, yet so powerful!
        Easy to modify partition tables, but we had to do all the work.
        Nobody told me NOT to use the 3rd & 4th partition descriptor
        slots in Extended Partition Tables!
        The Advanced recovery mode saved my butt!
        It allows you to define the disk structure in RAM and then
        access raw data in FILE form.
        This low level stuff, the bits get under my fingernails.

        Doc "where's my cane?" Chiron