Unhiding HD0 after booting from HD1 ?

  • victormarchand <victor.marchand@hccnet.n
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2002
      I searched the archive, but haven´t found this subject in it.

      Over the weekend I installed a second HD in my machine. Both disks
      contain the original WinME, which came with the machine. XOSL neatly
      takes care of booting either one of those OS´s.
      As described in the manual, I hide the partition on HD0 when booting
      from HD1.
      However, after everything is up, I´d still like to have access to
      data
      which recides on the partition, which is on HD0.
      Is there a way to do this ?

      thanks
      Victor
    • John McCabe
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2002
        > Over the weekend I installed a second HD in my machine. Both disks
        > contain the original WinME, which came with the machine. XOSL neatly
        > takes care of booting either one of those OS´s.
        > As described in the manual, I hide the partition on HD0 when booting
        > from HD1.
        > However, after everything is up, I´d still like to have access to
        > data
        > which recides on the partition, which is on HD0.
        > Is there a way to do this ?

        As far as I remember, you only need to hide the disk 0 partition when
        installing. If you unhide it when booting, as long as you have the "Fix FAT
        Drive Number" option selected there shouldn't be a problem.

        Best Regards
        John McCabe <john@...>
      • victormarchand <victor.marchand@hccnet.n
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2002
          --- In xosl@yahoogroups.com, John McCabe<john@a...> wrote:
          > As far as I remember, you only need to hide the disk 0 partition when
          > installing. If you unhide it when booting, as long as you have the
          "Fix FAT
          > Drive Number" option selected there shouldn't be a problem.
          >

          > Best Regards
          > John McCabe <john@a...>

          I had hoped so, but this is not the case. If I unide the WinME
          partition on HD0, before booting the partition on HD1 (with fix fat nr
          ON) it still boots from HD0 instead of HD1. It seems to me this is
          done by design on XOSL. But I´d like to know if that is the case and
          if there is a way around it.

          thanks again
          Victor
        • James M. DeLuca
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2002
            victor marchand wrote:

            --- John McCabe wrote:
            > As far as I remember, you only need to hide
            > the disk 0 partition when installing. If you
            > unhide it when booting, as long as you have the
            > "Fix FAT Drive Number" option selected there
            > shouldn't be a problem.

            I had hoped so, but this is not the case. If I
            unide the WinME partition on HD0, before booting
            the partition on HD1 (with fix fat nr ON) it still
            boots from HD0 instead of HD1. It seems to me this
            is done by design on XOSL. But I�d like to know if
            that is the case and if there is a way around it. Victor

            Doc Chiron: My mobo SYSTEM SETUP offers two solutions
            to these problems which I use as appropriate.
            1) On the CMOS SETUP page, If I set IDE "Primary Master"=NONE,
            then the BIOS finds the ACTIVE partition on "Primary Slave"
            (set to AUTO or the actual CHS values) and BOOTs from it.
            My experience is only with DOS-based WINDOWS OSs, but during
            those OS's startup, the DEVICE MANAGER does its own system
            hardware survey and DISCOVERS that there IS a drive on
            Primary Master after all and allocates a drive letter to it!
            2) On the second SETUP page, the BOOT order options go beyond
            the basic A,C; C,A; CD-ROM, A, C; to include: D, XXXX;
            E, xxxx; F, xxxx. (Plus ZIP, LS120 & SCSI). The letters
            D,E, & F are SETUP shorthand for PrimarySlave, SecondaryMaster
            & Secondary Slave. This forces the BIOS to look first at the
            designated drive for an ACTIVE partition. All the remaining
            drives & partitions are found in the normal course of startup
            as usual, but drive letter assignment changes are to be expected.

            I mention both techniques, as some mobos may offer only the
            first option. (Here's a case where generic mobos fare better
            than the custom mobos of large system vendors.
            DOC