Re: can't boot from 2nd hard drive.

  • wingzweiss
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In xosl@y..., "Hasnain Tariq (NICSW/Boston)" <tarrigg@y...> wrote:

      > ...I installed RedHat Linux on on the secondary channel, but it did
      > not boot...If you tell xosl to boot Linux in that partition, it
      > goes there and hangs. This is where grub comes in handy. I just add
      > another menu item on an already installed grub.

      This seems to be the same problem I'm having, but I'm a little
      confused about the solution. What do you add to the grub.conf?
      Since XOSL is the first thing that boots, how would a grub.conf entry
      affect it? (or maybe I'm misunderstanding - does it affect it?)

      My disks and partitions are setup like this:

      hd0: MBR
      hd0: (unused-31kb)
      hd0: XOSL (18MB)
      hd0: FAT32 - Windoze98

      hd1: MBR
      hd1: (unused - 31kb)
      hd1: ext3 - 70MB - /boot
      hd1: linux swap - 256MB
      hd1: ext3 - 1GB - /
      hd1: ext3 - 256MB - /var

      When I point XOSL to the boot partition on drive 2, I'd expect it to
      start GRUB, but it hangs.

      (As of this writing, my Linux boot disk is giving me a kernel panic
      when it accesses the boot portion of the Linux disk. The cure might
      be a reinstallation of Linux after all. :( )
    • John McCabe
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
        Presumably your /boot partition does pretty much nothing except act as a
        container for GRUB. As a wild stab in the dark, you could try changing your
        /boot partition filesystem to Ext2 (often shown as Linux Native) instead of
        using Ext3. You never know.. maybe XOSL just doesn't like Ext3! (I'm sure
        someone will tell us if they've already used it with Ext3 successfully, but
        I've stuck to Ext2 and LILO just in case :-)

        > --- In xosl@y..., "Hasnain Tariq (NICSW/Boston)" <tarrigg@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > ...I installed RedHat Linux on on the secondary channel, but it did
        > > not boot...If you tell xosl to boot Linux in that partition, it
        > > goes there and hangs. This is where grub comes in handy. I just add
        > > another menu item on an already installed grub.
        >
        > This seems to be the same problem I'm having, but I'm a little
        > confused about the solution. What do you add to the grub.conf?
        > Since XOSL is the first thing that boots, how would a grub.conf entry
        > affect it? (or maybe I'm misunderstanding - does it affect it?)
        >
        > My disks and partitions are setup like this:
        >
        > hd0: MBR
        > hd0: (unused-31kb)
        > hd0: XOSL (18MB)
        > hd0: FAT32 - Windoze98
        >
        > hd1: MBR
        > hd1: (unused - 31kb)
        > hd1: ext3 - 70MB - /boot
        > hd1: linux swap - 256MB
        > hd1: ext3 - 1GB - /
        > hd1: ext3 - 256MB - /var
        >
        > When I point XOSL to the boot partition on drive 2, I'd expect it to
        > start GRUB, but it hangs.
        >
        > (As of this writing, my Linux boot disk is giving me a kernel panic
        > when it accesses the boot portion of the Linux disk. The cure might
        > be a reinstallation of Linux after all. :( )

        Best Regards
        John McCabe
      • Geoff Lane
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
          > --- In xosl@y..., "Hasnain Tariq (NICSW/Boston)" <tarrigg@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > ...I installed RedHat Linux on on the secondary channel, but it did
          > > not boot...If you tell xosl to boot Linux in that partition, it
          > > goes there and hangs. This is where grub comes in handy. I just add
          > > another menu item on an already installed grub.

          > When I point XOSL to the boot partition on drive 2, I'd expect it to
          > start GRUB, but it hangs.
          >
          > (As of this writing, my Linux boot disk is giving me a kernel panic
          > when it accesses the boot portion of the Linux disk. The cure might
          > be a reinstallation of Linux after all. :( )

          Are you able to boot Linux using a Floppy?

          Geoff Lane
          Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club
          www.whcc.co.uk
        • wingzweiss
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In xosl@y..., "John McCabe" <john@a...> wrote:

            > As a wild stab in the dark, you could try changing your /boot
            > partition filesystem to Ext2...instead of using Ext3.

            Good suggestion. I'll give that a try.
          • wingzweiss
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- In xosl@y..., "Geoff Lane" <geoff@3...> wrote:

              > Are you able to boot Linux using a Floppy?

              At this point, no. I must have hosed something in that disk's boot
              record. Ranish PM shows the root partition as "unused" and doesn't
              show the '/var' partition at all.

              Nothing important on that disk, anyway, so I'm going to reinstall
              with /boot as ext2 to see if that permits XOSL to boot it.
            • Geoff Lane
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                > --- In xosl@y..., "Geoff Lane" <geoff@3...> wrote:
                >
                > > Are you able to boot Linux using a Floppy?
                >
                > At this point, no. I must have hosed something in that disk's boot
                > record. Ranish PM shows the root partition as "unused" and doesn't
                > show the '/var' partition at all.
                >
                > Nothing important on that disk, anyway, so I'm going to reinstall
                > with /boot as ext2 to see if that permits XOSL to boot it.

                Fingers crossed :-)))

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 16, 2002
                  --- In xosl@y..., "wingzweiss" <wingzweiss@y...> wrote:

                  > Nothing important on that disk, anyway, so I'm going to reinstall
                  > with /boot as ext2 to see if that permits XOSL to boot it.

                  Ya, know. That didn't work, either. It still hangs.

                  The answer is probably buried somewhere in the documentation.