Re: [xosl] Installing xosl

  • Phil Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2002
      > I'd like to install xosl on an existing system. I currently have win
      > 98se on a 28 gig hd, with about 25 gig free. I have a second hd, a
      > 7.8 gig that I was hoping to use for linux mandrake. Neither of the
      > drives are partitioned right now. Can it be done without having to re-
      > install the operating system? I can erase the second drive, it's
      > pretty much a spare one anyway. Thanks

      Although I usually recommend installing XOSL on a separate partition, here is how to do it for
      ease of use:
      1. Boot from a DOS floppy disk and run install.exe
      2. Install XOSL, and select "Install to FAT partition".
      3. Point the installer at your windows partition. Choose to make a backup of the MBR when offered.
      When offered the choice of what else to install, accept Ranish partition manager, and decline
      Smart Boot Manager.
      4. Reboot, and XOSL should load. Click on "Setup" and create a new boot item. Choose the Windows
      partition, and click OK. Select the boot item just created, and check "Activate Partition". Click
      OK to exit this window.
      5. You should now be in the main XOSL window. Make sure that the boot item you created is
      selected, and press boot. Windows 98 should load as usual. If it works, insert the Linux
      installation media and reboot.
      6. Go through the installation, ensure that it simply formats the second drive for use, and
      continue as directed by the installer until you get to the Boot Loader screen. Click on
      "Advanced". There should be an option to install LILO or GRUB to your Linux partition. Choose that
      and continue the installation.
      7. When the installation is completed, click the OK button to reboot, and your system should load
      XOSL again. Go through the process to create a new boot item again, but select the Linux partition
      to which LILO was installed this time.
      8. You should now be able to boot Linux-Mandrake from the main XOSL window. Congratulations!

      Phil

      =====
      C:\DOS\
      C:\DOS\RUN\