keyboard problem with notebook

  • Thomas Jachmann
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2001
      I just installed XOSL on my notebook because I want to dualboot Windows 2000
      and Windows ME.

      This is my setup:
      10 GB HDD, partitions as follows:
      0. primary 5 MB XOSL Boot Manager Partition
      1. primary 1 GB Windows ME (FAT)
      2. primary 2 GB Windows 2000 (NTFS)
      3. extended 6 GB

      Two problems:
      1. When booting any system (even when booting DOS from A:), the keyboard
      doesn't work any more. The computer doesn't respond to any key strokes, even
      Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, I have to switch off the computer to reboot. Is
      this a known bug with notebook keyboards? Or is there any setting to keep
      the keyboard working after selecting a system to boot (the keyboard works
      within XOSL)?

      2. After partitioning the hard drive and installing XOSL, I tried to install
      Windows 2000. I told XOSL to hide partition 1, booted this partition
      (producing an error because it is empty) and startet W2K installation. I
      thought, partition 1 should still be hidden. But when the installation was
      done and I marked partition 0 as active again (W2K setup marks its partition
      as active while installing), I got the message NTLDR missing. W2K setup
      installs NTLDR into the first visible partition on the hard disk. I guess
      partition 1 wasn't really hidden and thus setup installed NTLDR there.

      Thanks for your hints,
      Thomas
    • Robert Christian
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2001
        I got roughly the same prob then the number 1 of thomas
        My system is a desktop DELL GXa

        My setup
        30GB HDD

        0. primary 2 GB Windows NT4 SP6(NTFS)
        1. primary 8 GB Windows 98SE (FAT32)
        2. primary 1 GB Dos 7 (FAT)
        3. extended 15GB GB
        4. free about 4 GB

        XOSL 1.1.5

        When I boot through xosl, I got no keyboard (even if I try to use Ranish Partition manager
        from the XOSL Setup)
        I was able to workaround the prob by using "keys panel" in setup
        This permits to start the GUI without pressing a key for 98 et NT4 and
        I had to introduce a "keyb us.ret" for DOS which unlock the keyboard
        but I still didn't understand why my keyboard freez.

        Christian