Re: first impression and a wish or two

  • Andy Elkington
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
      I would also like to request a text-mode interface - another reason could be:
      I manage hundreds of PCs - at least 70 of which need multiple boot,
      unfortunately 20 or so have video cards that don't work with Xosl. Yes, I can
      use Xosl on some and another boot manager on others, BUT I'd really like to
      make Xosl the standard boot manager for them all. Lets face it - its one of the
      best (imho) boot managers available.

      Regards Andy Elkington
      CET University of Sunderland.

      Geurt Vos wrote:

      > From: Geurt Vos <geurt.vos@...>
      >
      > > If I can make a wish, it would wish for an optional text-mode
      > > interface, similar to what M.Ranish seems to have in mind for his
      > > partitioner <http://www.intercom.com/~ranish>(the beta version).
      > >

      > You can always make a wish. But what I need are good reasons why I
      > should create a text-mode vesrion of XOSL. I mean, there are enough
      > good and free text-mode boot managers out there. Why not use one of
      > those instead?
      >
      > -Geurt-

      > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
      > percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
      > fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
      > Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

    • Allan Crooks
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
        > You can always make a wish. But what I need are good reasons why I
        > should create a text-mode vesrion of XOSL. I mean, there are enough
        > good and free text-mode boot managers out there. Why not use one of
        > those instead?

        It would be useful if your monitor had broken down, and you had to resort
        to an old monitor to get it working....

        Allan.
      • Bjorn.Simonsen@c2i.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
          On 13 Feb 00 at 22:32, Geurt Vos wrote:

          > You can always make a wish. But what I need are good reasons why I
          > should create a text-mode vesrion of XOSL.

          First, I was going to say what Allan Crooks replied: "It would be
          useful if your monitor had broken down, and you had to resort to an
          old monitor to get it working...."

          And I couldn't have come up with a better reason than the one
          Andy Elkington supplied: A textmode interface would be very
          useful in mixed environments. Andy could of course have
          settled for an existing textmode boot manager as the "least common
          denominator". But I think he offered a pretty good reason for why
          he didn't want that, don't you think?

          > I mean, there are enough good and free text-mode boot managers
          > out there. Why not use one of those instead?

          Yes, there are others, and of those I have tried, I found non
          as good as your XOSL. I am sure other boot managers can perform
          just a well as XOSL in brining up my Operating Systems, but at least
          I haven't seen any which are that easy to use - AND - also have all
          features. (Ranish advanced boot manager is a good candidate I would
          say, but I got the impression it is not quite finished yet, and the
          prior version of his partitioner somehow doesn't recognize all my
          logical partitions - although the boot manager still works)

          Ease of use is an important factor I think. For some - maybe most
          people, a boot manager will be something you install and forget, not
          counting the fact you use it to make the selection on every boot, if
          no autoboot is set. It is basically out of sight and out of mind as
          long as it is operating as it is supposed to - until the next
          time you install a new OS or for any other reason need to make
          changes to your setup. Lets say that 6 months after you installed you
          need to do some small adjustments. Then who likes having to read 10
          man pages just to do a simple change of setup? Not that it is
          necessarily difficult, just time consuming. It is nice then, if the
          boot manager is pretty easy to use, if it doesn't take you long to
          figure out or remember how to configure it, and it still has all the
          features you need! Do I need to say I think XOSL more than lives up
          to this description? Do I need to say that the other boot managers I
          have seen doesn't ? :)

          So, why do I want to "loose the GUI" when I have said so many nice
          things about it? Well I don't want to loose it, only supplement
          it with an optional text mode interface for hardware platforms that
          doesn't support the GUI mode, where AFAIK no other "as easy" an
          alternative exist, cf. reasons above.

          In another message you said:

          > One thing I will do is create a nice XOSL-bypass menu.
          > It will still be quite feature-less, but it will be
          > easier to use.

          If you by this mean bring up a simple alternative text mode
          "OS-selection screen" on boot, it sounds great to me. I mentioned
          XOSL to a friend of mine, and he said "I noticed it had some hefty
          requirements unrelated to it's purpose". But I have to disagree with
          him. If the purpose only is booting, then I would have to agree. But
          if the purpose also is making configuration easy, intuitive and
          accessible, then I disagree. Still, even if
          the GUI IS very nice _when configuring the setup_, IMHO it is not
          needed when all you want to do is to select what OS to run. It
          would be nice then with a simple - but optional - textmode boot
          selection screen, with a HOT-key to bring up the GUI (or textmode ;)
          configuration screen only when needed. That would probably also make
          the boot even smoother and faster than it already is.

          But of course, making wishes and passing suggestions is easy, doing
          the work and investing the time needed to implement the changes is
          another thing. I fully acknowledge that. So let me emphasis again,
          your XOSL is a very nice program, and already very good and
          useful "as is".

          All the best,
          Bjorn