Re: first impression and a wish or two

  • Geurt Vos
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2000
      > If I can make a wish, it would wish for an optional text-mode
      > interface, similar to what M.Ranish seems to have in mind for his
      > partitioner <http://www.intercom.com/~ranish>(the beta version).

      You can always make a wish. But what I need are good reasons why I
      should create a text-mode vesrion of XOSL. I mean, there are enough
      good and free text-mode boot managers out there. Why not use one of
      those instead?

      -Geurt-
    • Andy Elkington
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
        I would also like to request a text-mode interface - another reason could be:
        I manage hundreds of PCs - at least 70 of which need multiple boot,
        unfortunately 20 or so have video cards that don't work with Xosl. Yes, I can
        use Xosl on some and another boot manager on others, BUT I'd really like to
        make Xosl the standard boot manager for them all. Lets face it - its one of the
        best (imho) boot managers available.

        Regards Andy Elkington
        CET University of Sunderland.

        Geurt Vos wrote:

        > From: Geurt Vos <geurt.vos@...>
        >
        > > If I can make a wish, it would wish for an optional text-mode
        > > interface, similar to what M.Ranish seems to have in mind for his
        > > partitioner <http://www.intercom.com/~ranish>(the beta version).
        > >

        > You can always make a wish. But what I need are good reasons why I
        > should create a text-mode vesrion of XOSL. I mean, there are enough
        > good and free text-mode boot managers out there. Why not use one of
        > those instead?
        >
        > -Geurt-

        > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
        > percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
        > fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
        > Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

      • Allan Crooks
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
          > You can always make a wish. But what I need are good reasons why I
          > should create a text-mode vesrion of XOSL. I mean, there are enough
          > good and free text-mode boot managers out there. Why not use one of
          > those instead?

          It would be useful if your monitor had broken down, and you had to resort
          to an old monitor to get it working....

          Allan.
        • Bjorn.Simonsen@c2i.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
            On 13 Feb 00 at 22:32, Geurt Vos wrote:

            > You can always make a wish. But what I need are good reasons why I
            > should create a text-mode vesrion of XOSL.

            First, I was going to say what Allan Crooks replied: "It would be
            useful if your monitor had broken down, and you had to resort to an
            old monitor to get it working...."

            And I couldn't have come up with a better reason than the one
            Andy Elkington supplied: A textmode interface would be very
            useful in mixed environments. Andy could of course have
            settled for an existing textmode boot manager as the "least common
            denominator". But I think he offered a pretty good reason for why
            he didn't want that, don't you think?

            > I mean, there are enough good and free text-mode boot managers
            > out there. Why not use one of those instead?

            Yes, there are others, and of those I have tried, I found non
            as good as your XOSL. I am sure other boot managers can perform
            just a well as XOSL in brining up my Operating Systems, but at least
            I haven't seen any which are that easy to use - AND - also have all
            features. (Ranish advanced boot manager is a good candidate I would
            say, but I got the impression it is not quite finished yet, and the
            prior version of his partitioner somehow doesn't recognize all my
            logical partitions - although the boot manager still works)

            Ease of use is an important factor I think. For some - maybe most
            people, a boot manager will be something you install and forget, not
            counting the fact you use it to make the selection on every boot, if
            no autoboot is set. It is basically out of sight and out of mind as
            long as it is operating as it is supposed to - until the next
            time you install a new OS or for any other reason need to make
            changes to your setup. Lets say that 6 months after you installed you
            need to do some small adjustments. Then who likes having to read 10
            man pages just to do a simple change of setup? Not that it is
            necessarily difficult, just time consuming. It is nice then, if the
            boot manager is pretty easy to use, if it doesn't take you long to
            figure out or remember how to configure it, and it still has all the
            features you need! Do I need to say I think XOSL more than lives up
            to this description? Do I need to say that the other boot managers I
            have seen doesn't ? :)

            So, why do I want to "loose the GUI" when I have said so many nice
            things about it? Well I don't want to loose it, only supplement
            it with an optional text mode interface for hardware platforms that
            doesn't support the GUI mode, where AFAIK no other "as easy" an
            alternative exist, cf. reasons above.

            In another message you said:

            > One thing I will do is create a nice XOSL-bypass menu.
            > It will still be quite feature-less, but it will be
            > easier to use.

            If you by this mean bring up a simple alternative text mode
            "OS-selection screen" on boot, it sounds great to me. I mentioned
            XOSL to a friend of mine, and he said "I noticed it had some hefty
            requirements unrelated to it's purpose". But I have to disagree with
            him. If the purpose only is booting, then I would have to agree. But
            if the purpose also is making configuration easy, intuitive and
            accessible, then I disagree. Still, even if
            the GUI IS very nice _when configuring the setup_, IMHO it is not
            needed when all you want to do is to select what OS to run. It
            would be nice then with a simple - but optional - textmode boot
            selection screen, with a HOT-key to bring up the GUI (or textmode ;)
            configuration screen only when needed. That would probably also make
            the boot even smoother and faster than it already is.

            But of course, making wishes and passing suggestions is easy, doing
            the work and investing the time needed to implement the changes is
            another thing. I fully acknowledge that. So let me emphasis again,
            your XOSL is a very nice program, and already very good and
            useful "as is".

            All the best,
            Bjorn