The Change It Had to Come (Was Re: Fair use of ODP license)

  • David Prenatt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
      [Rob O. Zilla:]

      > I don't think there is a "legal problem" to repost threads [from
      > the ODP Editor Forum, however, you are risking your position as an
      > ODP editor if you repost a thread here and it can be traced back to
      > you. It is spelled out in the guidelines that you are not allowed
      > to repost internal ODP forum threads.
      >
      > Take it from someone who has been through this exact situation.
      > The ODP's Chief of Espionage Operations will come after you. (Meta
      > Editor goldm)

      ODP Meta Editor goldm is now XODP Meta Editor goldm. Apparently ODP's former Chief Inquisitor was "caught" using an alter ego to provide favorable treatment of Web sites with which he was affiliated, as if this sort of intrigue was ever a secret. (See "Lies, Damn Lies, and ODP Doublespeak: XODP Editall netesq sets the record straight about ODP Meta Editor goldm," < http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xodp/files/Lies%20Damn%20Lies.htm >.)

      Who'd a thunk it?

      Humbly Yours,

      XODP Moderator netesq
    • Rob O. Zilla
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
        ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

      • andrew@page-zero.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2001
          I'm currently hearing of some interesting developments from a highly-
          placed ODP editor (not for attribution). Included in the update was
          news of the goldm firing, with a vivid description of how goldm
          seemed to "snap" at a certain point, almost guaranteeing his firing
          by wading in and deleting entries that should legitimately be in the
          directory, including those of competitors.

          The main concern, however, seems to be an increasing heavy-handedness
          on the part of permanent staff, who, it might be inferred, are taking
          direction from on high, i.e. AOL editorial policy. This is bringing
          staff into conflict with some metas, and reportedly there have been
          four metas fired in recent weeks.

          In any case, I am not about to publish an article about this without
          some substantiation or second opinion from another high ranking ODP
          editor or staff person or two.

          There are a number of such individuals lurking and/or posting on this
          board. If you would like to make yourself available to me to confirm
          or deny current scuttlebutt regarding high-level machinations at ODP,
          I'd be delighted to interview you, off the record or on, as is your
          preference. Please contact me at editor[nospam]@... or the
          address attached to this post. I would expect to publish a full
          update on the scene within ODP sometime in late August or possibly
          September. Make your views known!

          Best,

          Andrew