Cool place for discussion!

  • Dan Geiser
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hey, Everybody,

      I sort of stumbled on this place and thought I might post a few comments. I used to be a MetaEditor on DMOZ and I was unceremoniously booted off when 2 junior editors complained about my editing decisions. Before having my account terminated I tried to talk with Rich Skrenta about the issue but he wouldn't really acknowledge my e-mails. The funny it's probably been about 1 1/2 years now since I was kicked off and they still have my booksmarks on there...

      http://www.dmoz.org/Bookmarks/D/dgeiser/

      I imagine I devoted 500 hours to that place and didn't even receive a thank you or any attempt by any person volunteer or otherwise to help mediate an issue.

      I look forward to being an active member of this list.

      Thanks!

      Dan Geiser <dgeiser@...>
    • Nick Sahadi
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        --- In xodp@egroups.com, "Dan Geiser" <dgeiser@i...> wrote:

        Hi Dan. Welcome to XODP. As you know it's typical, heck probably the
        rule that no one at TOD ( the other directory project) aka: ODP
        responded to you. They are well known for their use and abuse system.
        I don't know of any other organazation in the world that treats it's
        volunteers like that. I am sick and tired of hearing about PEOPLE
        being treated like &#@% by ODP. Rich Skrenta does not give a #$@*
        about the PEOPLE that built ODP, never did, and never will. Now
        Netscape (where Rich Skrenta works) is in charge. Do they care? They
        continue to use FREE labor to line their pockets. It might have been
        ok to use FREE labor when the directory started but it is not OK now!
        As for you Dan I see all of the work you put into the ODP for FREE
        and how they (ODP) treated you and it SUCKS!!

        Nick Sahadi

        > Hey, Everybody,
        >
        > I sort of stumbled on this place and thought I might post a few
        comments. I used to be a MetaEditor on DMOZ and I was
        unceremoniously booted off when 2 junior editors complained about my
        editing decisions. Before having my account terminated I tried to
        talk with Rich Skrenta about the issue but he wouldn't really
        acknowledge my e-mails. The funny it's probably been about 1 1/2
        years now since I was kicked off and they still have my booksmarks on
        there...

        > http://www.dmoz.org/Bookmarks/D/dgeiser/
        >
        > I imagine I devoted 500 hours to that place and didn't even receive
        a thank you or any attempt by any person volunteer or otherwise to
        help mediate an issue.

        > I look forward to being an active member of this list.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Dan Geiser <dgeiser@i...>
      • Rahmat-M Samik-Ibrahim
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
          Dan Geiser wrote:

          > I imagine I devoted 500 hours to that place and didn't
          > even receive a thank you or any attempt by any person
          > volunteer or otherwise to help mediate an issue.

          This is exactly my point! How can this happen in
          a country like the US? How come that it is not allowed
          to reject a credit card application without notification
          but it is OK for the ODP to fire anyone anytime? What is
          Netscape or/ and AOL position? And what can be done
          to nail Fuehrer Skrenta?

          RMS46
        • David Prenatt
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2000
            Dan Geiser wrote:

            > I sort of stumbled on this place and thought I might post a few
            > comments. I used to be a MetaEditor on DMOZ and I was
            > unceremoniously booted off when 2 junior editors complained about
            > my editing decisions. Before having my account terminated I tried
            > to talk with Rich Skrenta about the issue but he wouldn't really
            > acknowledge my e-mails.

            Thank you for joining us, Dan. I do remember your removal, and from what was said about it in the ODP Editor Forum, it was a very difficult decision for skrenta, et al. to make. Indeed, when someone remarked on how bizarre it was to have someone as remarkable as you removed from the project and reduced to the status of OdenIVusa, skrenta immediately replied, "dgeiser cannot be compared to Oden4usa." (Or words to that effect.)

            I don't know the particulars of why you were removed, and I'm not sure it matters. What does matter is that ODP does not currently provide for disciplinary actions that stop short of removal. In essence, this is comparable to having the death penalty as the only punishment for any crime. Some metas occasionally get their meta privileges revoked, but that's more politics than anything else; they usually remain on as editalls.

            Once again, thank you for joining us.

            Humbly Yours,

            XODP Moderator netesq