Re: DITA to FrameMaker MIF transform developed

  • Hedley Finger
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2007
      Dear Isaac:

      --- In xml-doc@yahoogroups.com, Isaac Rabinovitch <isaac@...> wrote:

      > Basically, you've worked out a way to continue using Frame to
      hand-tweak
      > your document formatting.. IMHO this is a huge waste of resources.

      There are quite a few of us who are not as wonderful or bright as you
      are. For those of us who are sole practitioners or members of a small
      team, modifying the XSL-FO transforms to make our DITA-originated
      documentation match the look-and-feel of our organisations' other
      documents is a herculean task.

      Even using the Mekon FrameMaker adapter, which after all transforms
      DITA XML into a styled FrameMaker document, is quite a hurdle.
      Fooling around with the EDD, read-write rules, and formats is also
      daunting.

      On the other hand, FrameMaker is much smarter than XSL-FO at
      generating TOCs, LOFs, LOTs and indexes with complex formatting. And
      quite a few of us have the skills necessary to get quality PDFs at
      commercial book-publishing standards out of FrameMaker.

      So what would be a really gigantic waste of resources would be for,
      say, one member of a three member team to spend all their time
      learning the intricacies of ANT build files, XSLT and XSL-FO
      transforms when he or she should really be spending their time
      productively producing content.

      Both the FrameMaker Adapter and the Adobe DITA Plug-in map XML
      structure to FrameMaker analogous structure, and it's not a perfect
      mapping. The conversion to MIF is unstructured, and if simply
      considered another output like HTML Help or PDF, it is fine if it is
      unstructured. We don't need structured PDF do we? And if we can then
      build format templates that simply override the defaults to achieve
      whatever appearance is required by the corporate image manual, what's
      the problem?