Re: X-Pubs?

  • Hank
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2007
      You won't be the only one. See you there.

      Harv Greenberg
      XyEnterprise

      --- In xml-doc@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon McLean" <gordon.mclean@...>
      wrote:

      > Just wondering if anyone else on the list is attending the X-Pubs
      Conference

      _______________________________
      > This email (and any attachments) is private and confidential, and
      is intended solely for the
      > addressee. If you have received this communication in error please
      remove it and inform us via
      > telephone or email. Although we take all possible steps to ensure
      mail and attachments
      > are free from malicious content, malware and viruses, we cannot
      accept any responsibility
      > whatsoever for any changes to content outwith our administrative
      bounds. The views represented
      > within this mail are solely the view of the author and do not
      reflect the views of the organisation

      _______________________________
      > Graham Technology plc
      > Registered in Scotland company no. SC143434
      > Registered Office India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, Scotland PA4
      9LH

      > http://www.grahamtechnology.com

    • Melanie Kendell
      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2007
        peter17ring wrote:
        > I'd much appreciate the presentation.

        Sent directly to Peter - Michael, do you want to enable the files area
        for this group and I will post it there in case anyone else wants a
        copy.

        > She does have some background with database applications, so you've got a point there.

        One of the reasons an XML schema and a database schema both use the
        word schema is that they have a great deal in common.

        > And yes, there's a CMS in the horizon, but not in the first phase. The idea is to employ a consultant who is familiar with the CMS and the editing and publishing tools to help us develop the document type and the editing and publishing tools.

        Be wary of getting a consultant that is tied too closely to a
        particular CMS. In fact I think an important part of gathering
        requirements to help you choose a CMS will be based on the results of
        your content analysis and modelling. Also be wary that a large
        percentage of consultants familiar with CMS do not understand
        documentation at anything other than a "blob" level.

        > from previous experience, we know it will take some time until the document type is stable -- and also that it is a lot of trouble to make major changes to the document type, once you've become dependent on the CMS.

        Yes your schema will take some time to develop (especially if your
        content is not already well structured - in which case it is a good
        idea to rework your content even before tackling XML), and yes once
        you've poured your content into your schema it becomes more difficult
        to make changes (combinations and substitutions are not too hard but
        splitting is painful) - none of that depends on the CMS it is a
        consideration of XML.

        When choosing a CMS one of the first things you should be looking for
        is what options you will have for exiting that CMS (seems a strange
        thing to do first but it is very, very important). For example, you
        probably want to have some snazzy GUI tools to manage links, etc, but
        you want those relationships to be written into the content rather
        than stored in the CMS itself - that way you can transfer that content
        to another system without having to recreate everything.

        The CMS market is too volatile to take any chances with this and it
        also means you can afford to think about your choice of CMS in terms
        of what you need now rather than everything you might possibly need -
        if you find out you need something more powerful later, you can
        migrate to the next system.

        Good luck on your journey :-)
        -Melanie
      • Michael(tm) Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2007
          Melanie Kendell <melanie.kendell@...>, 2007-05-31 10:44 +1000:

          > peter17ring wrote:
          > > I'd much appreciate the presentation.
          >
          > Sent directly to Peter - Michael, do you want to enable the files area
          > for this group and I will post it there in case anyone else wants a
          > copy.

          Nope. I'd rather it were posted at a public URL elsewhere.

          --Mike

          --
          Michael(tm) Smith
          http://people.w3.org/mike/

        • Gordon McLean
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2007
            I can host it on my site if you want.

            Gordon

            _____

            > Sent directly to Peter - Michael, do you want to enable the files area
            > for this group and I will post it there in case anyone else wants a
            > copy.

            Nope. I'd rather it were posted at a public URL elsewhere.

            --Mike

            --
            Michael(tm) Smith
            http://people. <http://people.w3.org/mike/> w3.org/mike/
            http://sideshowbark <http://sideshowbarker.net/> er.net/

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            13:01

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
              I'll bite.

              Why? One core benefit of having a Yahoo group is that it allows us to store,
              at the very least, LINKS to 'good stuff', if not the files themselves.

              Gordon

              <mailto:melanie.kendell%40gmail.com> >, 2007-05-31 10:44 +1000: