RE: [xml-doc] Best way to learn XML?

  • Daniel, Gene
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2000
      1.c.
      2.b
      3.a

      Gene Daniel
      XO Communications

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jennifer Young [mailto:JRYoung@...]
      Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 7:41 PM
      To: 'xml-doc@egroups.com'
      Subject: [xml-doc] Best way to learn XML?

      Hi everyone,
      I am planning a set of documentation for my company's XML-based product. The
      users will need to be able to understand how to create and edit XSLT
      templates. Would you be so kind in answering these three questions for me. I
      would really be grateful for your help!

      1. When you are learning XML (or XHTML, etc.), what is most helpful?
      a. online help
      b. printed manuals
      c. a combination of a and b
      c. other

      2. When you are learning XML (or XHTML, etc.), what type of guides are the
      most helpful?
      a. reference
      b. tutorials
      c. overview materials
      d. a combination

      3. In your opinion (based on your experience as a technical communicator),
      developers learn best by...
      a. online example
      b. step-by-step tutorials found in books
      c. computer based training (CBTs)
      d. other

      Thanks everyone! Your opinions will be tallied and hopefully used as
      evidence when I prose my documentation set to my product manager.

      Jen

    • Daniel, Gene
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2000
        1.c.
        2.b
        3.a

        Gene Daniel
        XO Communications

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 2000
          Hello Jen and all.

          I just join the XML world. I'm a graduate student. My interest is in structured data interchange based on internet. I'm looking for a subject in this field for my paper. Any suggestions are welcome.

          Here is my answers about Jen's questions:
          C,B,A

          Jiang

          > I am planning a set of documentation for my company's XML-based product. The
          > users will need to be able to understand how to create and edit XSLT
          > templates. Would you be so kind in answering these three questions for me. I
          > would really be grateful for your help!
          >
          > 1. When you are learning XML (or XHTML, etc.), what is most helpful?
          > a. online help
          > b. printed manuals
          > c. a combination of a and b
          > c. other
          >
          > 2. When you are learning XML (or XHTML, etc.), what type of guides are the
          > most helpful?
          > a. reference
          > b. tutorials
          > c. overview materials
          > d. a combination
          >
          > 3. In your opinion (based on your experience as a technical communicator),
          > developers learn best by...
          > a. online example
          > b. step-by-step tutorials found in books
          > c. computer based training (CBTs)
          > d. other
          >
          > Thanks everyone! Your opinions will be tallied and hopefully used as
          > evidence when I prose my documentation set to my product manager.
          >
          > Jen

        • Michael Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 13, 2000
            Jennifer Young <JRYoung@...> writes:

            > I am planning a set of documentation for my company's XML-based
            > product. The users will need to be able to understand how to create
            > and edit XSLT templates. Would you be so kind in answering these
            > three questions for me. I would really be grateful for your help!

            I encourage everybody to help out Jennifer with answers to her survey
            questions-- but please send her your answers off-list. That way, she
            can compile them and post a message with the results later.

            This gives me an opportunity to point out that the XML-DOC web site at
            eGroups includes a mechanism for conducting polls.

            http://www.egroups.com/polls/xml-doc

            Jennifer -- you might want to take a look at the URL above, set up
            your questions/answers there, and then send another message pointing
            everbody to it.

            --
            Michael Smith mailto:smith@...
            XML-DOC http://www.xml-doc.org/
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 2000
              On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:40:47 -0500 Jennifer Young wrote:

              > I am planning a set of documentation for my company's XML-based product.
              > The users will need to be able to understand how to create and edit XSLT
              > templates. Would you be so kind in answering these three questions for me.
              > I would really be grateful for your help!

              Question: Best way to learn XML?
              Answer: There is none.

              It depends on individual learning styles and the quality of a specific
              resource, independent of media. No one can give you anything but a
              misleading answer here, unfortunately.

              There are plenty of good books/sites/mags/tutorials/etc on the subject of
              xml, but __your best__ choice depends on the above considerations AND what
              you need to do with xml. That'll take some research and reflection on your
              part.

              Question: are you planning to teach the users about xml in your
              documentation, or will you assume they already know that much? If you're
              documenting an XSLT product, sounds like you can assume they already know
              XML fairly well. Or you can tell them to learn it first, and leave the
              choice of media up to them. Now, to teach them XSLT...If you've got an
              unknown audience, you'll need to teach them through as many approaches as
              you can. Lots of examples, lots of rationale, tutorials, a good reference,
              etc...everything. You can't assume anything about how THEY'll learn best.

              > 3. In your opinion (based on your experience as a technical communicator),
              > developers learn best by...

              You've also got to remember that developers are not the main audience for
              XSLT. If they're any good, they've got better tools at their disposal; or,
              if they nned to go with XSLT for some reason, they probably won't rely on
              any one product's documention for info. I imagine that your main audience
              will be web masters and other non-programmers who need XSLT. You should
              certainly investigate this, or you might be talking to the wrong group of
              people.

              I'll stress again, though: learning styles are very individual. It's
              counterproductive to assume there's one way by which most people learn.

              Hope this helps.

              -Stan

              Stan Swaren
              Senior Consultant ! sswaren@...
              Pelican Inquiry Incorporated ! (613) 823-5307 Voice
              5 Crosspointe Avenue ! (520) 396-8764 eFax
              Nepean ON !
              K2G 6K9 CANADA !
              ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
              Next scheduled appearance:
              "Strategic Use of XML for Organizations:
              A Technical Overview for Managers"
              November 14, 2000
              Internet Institute
              Ottawa ON
              http://www.net-inst.com/site/english/course_description_e.cfm?ID=98
              ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
              Pelican Inquiry?
              Your XML and SGML source for:
              ! Requirements Management
              ! Data/Document Modeling
              ! Training
              ! Management Consulting
              ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
            • Alper Küçükural
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 13, 2000
                Hi Jen,
                I am new here and I have just begun to learn XML. I am using tutorials and samples.

                1.a
                2.b
                3.a

                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                Alper KÜÇÜKURAL
                MINDS VENTURE

                Baysungur Sok. No: 68/1 Pangalti.
                80230, Istanbul
                Tel :+90 212 219 31 59
                Fax :+90 212 248 26 22
                e-m@il: alper@...

              • Giroux, Don
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 27, 2000
                  1.c
                  2.b
                  3.a

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 27, 2000
                    hi,
                    hope this is helpfull to you...
                    the best way to learn xml that i feel is...
                    1.c
                    2.d
                    3.a