Re: [xml-doc] XML authoring tools

  • Barbara Jane
    Message 1 of 77 , Nov 15, 2006
      I'm in the same position as cdfj. I am using a non-wysiwyg editor, but
      if I want help from additional documenters I am going to need to
      implement something else. I am totally put off by Framemaker and the
      amount of time it takes to go to straight XML which is critical for our
      business purposes.

      Is InDesign any better?

      Mark Barratt wrote:

      > cdfj wrote:
      > > With the sad demise of FrameMaker (OK, they're aiming for a new
      > > release in 2007, but after the pathetic lack of ambition shown in
      > > the v7 releases, it's hard to believe it'll be worth waiting for),
      > > FrameMaker cannot be considered a future-safe option.
      >
      > I think you have got it completely wrong, Charles. I believe that Adobe
      > has seen the light about Frame (a little late, but maybe not too late)
      > and is devoting significant resources to taking it forward.
      >
      > The DITA application pack is just one strand of evidence for this -
      > there's more at trade shows, in promotional activity. There's also an
      > interesting interview on Scott Abel's site
      > http://www.thecontentwrangler.com/
      > <http://www.thecontentwrangler.com/> with the Frame evangelist. And Adobe
      > guys I have met in the last few months have seemed excited (but
      > tight-lipped) about Frame's future.
      >
      > --
      > Mark Barratt
      > Text Matters
      >
      > Information design: we help explain things using
      > language | design | systems | process improvement
    • Eric Armstrong
      Message 77 of 77 , Dec 4, 2006
        Thanks much to everyone for sharing their
        experiences. As it happens, the evaluation
        version of the XMetal Authoring version I
        have is 5.0.

        Someone suggested that the problem occurs in
        the Authoring version, but not the Developer
        version. Unless the problem is restricted to
        the evaluation copy, they may be right.