Re: FrameMaker <--> XML interworking QUESTION

  • Scott Abel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      I would try reading Kay Ethier's "Advanced FrameMaker" or "FrameMaker
      and XML" books. Available here:
      http://www.travelthepath.com/books.html

      There are also a great list of articles and tips available here:
      http://www.travelthepath.com/publications.html

      Monthly FrameMaker tips are available for free if you subscribe to the
      TIPS List:
      http://www.travelthepath.com/consulting.html#wp1148353

      Additional resources here:
      http://www.travelthepath.com/resourceslinks.html

      And if you still need help, consider taking a training class:
      http://www.travelthepath.com/bpstrain2004TOC2.html

      Hope this helps!

      The Content Wrangler, Inc.
      Scott Abel, Content Management Strategist
      3421 Crystal Lakes Ct., Sarasota FL 34235
      abelsp@... 941-359-3416
      www.thecontentwrangler.com
      Via Skype: abelsp

      TheContentWrangler.com - Look there first!

      On Mar 4, 2006, at 4:43 PM, xml-doc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > 1.
      > From: "enverdokuzoguz" <enverdokuzoguz@...>
      >
      > From: "enverdokuzoguz" <enverdokuzoguz@...>
      > Subject: FrameMaker <--> XML interworking QUESTION
      >
      > I am looking for detailed technical information on how to interwork
      > Structured FrameMaker and XML. Primarily, how to export cross-
      > references among files in a FrameMaker book to XML. And how to import
      > them back into FrameMaker. The intent here is to create a library of
      > XML files from existing FrameMaker documents,use the XML environment to
      > update content (by those who do not have access to FrameMaker) and then
      > use FrameMaker to re-package and publish documents. Does anyone know
      > any reference documentation, examples, or other forums that I can learn
      > about this domain?
    • Larry Kollar
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
        > I am looking for detailed technical information on how to interwork
        > Structured FrameMaker and XML. Primarily, how to export cross-
        > references among files in a FrameMaker book to XML. And how to import
        > them back into FrameMaker. The intent here is to create a library of
        > XML files from existing FrameMaker documents,use the XML environment to
        > update content (by those who do not have access to FrameMaker) and then
        > use FrameMaker to re-package and publish documents. Does anyone know
        > any reference documentation, examples, or other forums that I can learn
        > about this domain?

        In FrameMaker jargon, this is called an "application." Such an
        application consists of templates, a DTD, an EDD (basically a
        DTD+stylesheet combination) and any number (including zero) of
        "APIs" (plug-ins) and external scripts.

        There are several ways to go about creating an application:

        0) Use one of the included applications (XHTML, DocBook, DITA)
        that come with Frame. It's likely you'll have to modify them
        heavily before they would be useful, though.

        1) Pay a consultant to deliver a turnkey solution. This is
        expensive and (if done right) time-consuming.

        2) Pay for a trainer to teach you how to develop and maintain
        an application. This is probably the best approach. Once
        you've done this, you might want to dig into one of the
        included applications mentioned in (0).

        3) Roll up your sleeves, spit on your hands, and wade in.
        The "Structured Applications Developers Guide" in Frame's
        OnlineManuals directory is fairly useful to learn what
        you're getting into.

        Good luck!

        --
        Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS CPE Products
        "Content creators are the engine that drives