Re: [xml-doc] XML/CSS article

  • Sebastian Rahtz
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2005
      Lie never seems to have grasped that no-one meaningful
      has implemented CSS 2 reliably, let alone CSS 3 :-}

      Until someone shows me how to render

      <ptr target="http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>

      using CSS, what's the point of it?

      --
      Sebastian Rahtz

      http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk
    • David Tolpin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2005
        > Lie never seems to have grasped that no-one meaningful
        > has implemented CSS 2 reliably, let alone CSS 3 :-}
        >
        > Until someone shows me how to render
        >
        > <ptr target="http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
        >
        > using CSS, what's the point of it?

        I think it is easy. Side-floats for side-bars, everything else is
        trivial. I can draw it if you like.

        All of current www.renderx.com (which is, while minimalistic in
        appearance, does have complex layouts, such as multiple columns,
        marginalia etc.) is done using CSS and no presentational markup or
        tables in the html.

        David
      • David Tolpin
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 21, 2005
          >> Until someone shows me how to render
          >>
          >> <ptr target="http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
          >>
          >> using CSS, what's the point of it?
          >
          > I think it is easy.

          Ignore it, I just misunderstood the question. I didn't realize it s
          about CSS1 versus CSS2. Of course, it is impossible with just CSS1.
        • Sebastian Rahtz
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2005
            David Tolpin wrote:

            >>Until someone shows me how to render
            >>
            >> <ptr target="http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
            >>
            >>using CSS, what's the point of it?
            >>

            >I think it is easy.

            so, tell me, how do I make
            <ptr target="http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
            print "http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk" in red?

            sebastian
          • John Krasnay
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
              On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 11:24 +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
              > so, tell me, how do I make
              > <ptr target="http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
              > print "http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk" in red?
              >
              > sebastian

              This should do the trick...

              ptr:before {
              content: attr(target);
              color: red;
              text-decoration: underline;
              }

              That's not to say that I'm taking sides in the XSL vs CSS debate,
              though. I think they both have their place.

              jk
            • Norman Walsh
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
                / Larry Kollar <larry.kollar@...> was heard to say:
                | http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/print.html
                |
                |>From Opera's Håkon Wium Lie, and DITA's Don Day. Food for thought, and
                | it's helped to crystallize a rant I've been trying to compose. More on
                | that shortly.

                Heh. I deserved that for my snippy blog comment. I thought Hakon and
                Don were very generous in providing "blogging on a bad day" as one of
                the motivations for my comment. I'd just spent several hours trying to
                get a decent print version of the webarch document out of several
                modern browsers using only CSS. I gave up and did it in XSL FO instead
                because it (a) worked and (b) was a whole lot easier (for me). I
                didn't know about Prince at the time.

                I've actually written what I hope is a thoughtful reply to their
                article, and I believe it will be published on XML.com. I expected it
                to come out this week, but it hasn't, so I'm hoping it will come out
                next week.

                Be seeing you,
                norm

                --
                Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> | Where it is permissible both to
                http://nwalsh.com/ | die and not to die, it is an
                | abuse of valour to die.-- Mencius

              • Norman Walsh
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
                  / Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> was heard to say:
                  | / Larry Kollar <larry.kollar@...> was heard to say:
                  | | http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/print.html
                  | |
                  | |>From Opera's Håkon Wium Lie, and DITA's Don Day. Food for thought, and
                  | | it's helped to crystallize a rant I've been trying to compose. More on
                  | | that shortly.
                  |
                  | Heh. I deserved that for my snippy blog comment. I thought Hakon and
                  | Don were very generous in providing "blogging on a bad day" as one of

                  Not Don, Michael. My sincere apologies to them both.

                  Be seeing you,
                  norm

                  --
                  Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> | Everything should be made as