Re: [xml-doc] poetry and docbook

  • Sebastian Rahtz
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
      Christian Roy wrote:

      >I've used DocBook to publish a fiction/poetry work but I must admit I
      >did cheat a lot. Basically I used the <blocquote> and <screen> elements
      >in order to display the verses properly. Since I'm well versed (sic!) in
      >DocBook and didn't feel like using TEI...

      Sounds like you use presentational markup, not structural markup.
      No harm in that, but if its all you want you might as well use HTML
      directly. The point of the TEI markup is to record an interpretation
      of the structure, not to mimic a layout

      sebastian
    • Christian Roy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
        Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

        > Sounds like you use presentational markup, not structural markup.
        > No harm in that, but if its all you want you might as well use HTML
        > directly. The point of the TEI markup is to record an interpretation
        > of the structure, not to mimic a layout

        Indeed. for my real job, I use it in a structured way. But for that
        project, I had 20 fiction writers to manage and there was no way in Hell
        that I would have used Word or any word processor since I didn't want to
        mess with layout. the best way in my mind to do this was through
        DocBook. so yes, I did cheat and did an in-between
        structured/presentation markup.

        I don't think DocBook is suited for poetry. But my project only
        contained two poems so I used a work-around.