Re: [xml-doc] poetry and docbook

  • Christian Roy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
      Camille B├ęgnis wrote:
      > On Monday 11 October 2004 15:47, cronicfr wrote:
      >
      >>Hi,
      >>
      >>did anyone already use the docbook DTD for structuring poetry ?
      >>
      >>I wonder wich elements can be use for stanza and verses
      >>
      >>It seems important to keep track of the position of the stanza in the
      >>poem, and the number of the verse in the stanza.

      I've used DocBook to publish a fiction/poetry work but I must admit I
      did cheat a lot. Basically I used the <blocquote> and <screen> elements
      in order to display the verses properly. Since I'm well versed (sic!) in
      DocBook and didn't feel like using TEI...

      You can check out the results at:
      http://editionslibres.contre.com/HistoireVraie.html/pt02.html

    • Sebastian Rahtz
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
        Christian Roy wrote:

        >I've used DocBook to publish a fiction/poetry work but I must admit I
        >did cheat a lot. Basically I used the <blocquote> and <screen> elements
        >in order to display the verses properly. Since I'm well versed (sic!) in
        >DocBook and didn't feel like using TEI...

        Sounds like you use presentational markup, not structural markup.
        No harm in that, but if its all you want you might as well use HTML
        directly. The point of the TEI markup is to record an interpretation
        of the structure, not to mimic a layout

        sebastian
      • Christian Roy
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
          Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

          > Sounds like you use presentational markup, not structural markup.
          > No harm in that, but if its all you want you might as well use HTML
          > directly. The point of the TEI markup is to record an interpretation
          > of the structure, not to mimic a layout

          Indeed. for my real job, I use it in a structured way. But for that
          project, I had 20 fiction writers to manage and there was no way in Hell
          that I would have used Word or any word processor since I didn't want to
          mess with layout. the best way in my mind to do this was through
          DocBook. so yes, I did cheat and did an in-between
          structured/presentation markup.

          I don't think DocBook is suited for poetry. But my project only
          contained two poems so I used a work-around.