"Word's giant leap forward"

  • Michael Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2004
      Blog from Andrew Savikas on O'Reilly.net site -

      http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5039

      Quoting from that item -

      One of the finest features of Adobe FrameMaker (long a favorite among
      tech publishers) is the MIF file format (MIF stands for Maker
      Interchange Format).

      MIF is a lossless, ASCII representation of a FrameMaker file, and it's
      well document and easily parsed. Things that would be impossible or
      nearly so from the Frame UI are a walk in the park from MIF.

      But with Word 2003, Microsoft has finally opened up their books, so to
      speak, providing a truly lossless ASCII file format that even bests
      MIF, by being XML.

      For example, as I was reading through the excellent Office 2003
      XML[1], I noticed a 7-line XSL stylesheet that removes all direct (not
      style-based) formatting from a Word document. Seven lines. No macros.
      No need even to open up Word. That's (finally) true batch processing
      in Word. For what I do, this is a much bigger deal than the Task Pane.

      [1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/officexml/