RE: [xml-doc] How do I import XML into Frame 7.0

  • kadlec
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2004
      You will need to open the file in FrameMaker the usual way in the
      structured interface and set the application as XDocBook to get a first
      read. Then set up an application for this specific information set in
      FrameMaker to tweak and map the tables using read/write rules. You best
      take some training, Gilbert.

      Best regards,

      Sharon Kadlec
      InformationXDesign
      17715 Eureka Avenue West
      Farmington, MN 55024-9088
      952-463-3779
      kadlecweb@...

      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2004
        >> I am using FrameMaker 7.0, and I have been trying to figure out how
        >> to import an XML file into a Frame document.
        >
        > You will need to open the file in FrameMaker the usual way in the
        > structured interface and set the application as XDocBook to get a first
        > read. ...

        Assuming, of course, the XML *is* DocBook. Gilbert didn't say whether
        it was DocBook, XHTML, DITA, or something else. FrameMaker includes
        applications (which is Frame's term for the files & plug-ins
        needed to interpret, validate, transform, and format a structured
        document) for DocBook and HTML, but both of them require some tweaking
        for style and so forth. For other document types, you need another
        application.

        > You best take some training, Gilbert.

        Definitely a good idea. Learning it on your own is possible -- I
        did it -- but you have to either be a gearhead already or be able
        to think like a gearhead to get anywhere.

        --
        Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
        "Content creators are the engine that drives
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2004
          If this is a one-time event, you may want to simply open the XML
          document in FrameMaker, copy the result into your existing FrameMaker
          template, and manually re-tag the information with your current
          FrameMaker paragraph and character formats. If your XML document is
          valid and FrameMaker can resolve the SYSTEM identifier to find your DTD,
          you should be able to open the document directly in FrameMaker (be sure
          you are running in structured mode).

          With a few possible exceptions (e.g., elements that map to the CALS
          table model), FrameMaker should open your XML document and render
          elements that contain text as FrameMaker paragraphs.

          As with most document-oriented XML authoring tools, much of the XML
          configuration work with FrameMaker is in setting up the screen rendering
          (which, in FrameMaker, is also the print rendering). There is also
          effort in mapping XML elements to FrameMaker document objects, such as
          index and other markers, cross-references, tables, in-line elements,
          etc.

          The requisite information for the configuration work is documented in a
          PDF file that is installed in the FrameMaker application folder -- in
          "OnlineManuals/Structure_Dev_Guide.pdf". If you plan to work with
          FrameMaker and XML on an on-going basis, you will need this information.

          -Alan
          ----
          Alan Houser, President
          Group Wellesley, Inc.
          412-363-3481
          www.groupwellesley.com
          > I am using FrameMaker 7.0, and I have been trying to figure out how
          > to import an XML file into a Frame document. I have a source XML file
          > that I would like to map to a series of tables in a book's chapter
          > file. Has anyone done this?
          >
          > I looked at Chapter 3, in the Frame User Guide where it discusses
          > Converting structured files to FrameMaker, but those procedures don't
          > produce the results I need.
          >
          > I am a new member of this group, and I look forward to hearing your
          > advice and participating in future discussions.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Gilbert
        • Bill Trippe
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2004
            Hello,

            For some research I am doing, I would like to hear from people who are
            editing XML documents on the Macintosh.

            Please feel free to post here or contact me offlist.

            Thanks,

            Bill

            -------------------------
            Bill Trippe
            New Millennium Publishing
            763 Massachusetts Avenue
            Cambridge, MA 02139
            781 526 2564
            btrippe@...

            See http://nmpub.com/blog/ for "Ideas in Technology and Publishing"
          • Pierre Attar
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2004
              XMLMind is working on java plateform ... that means also Mac.

              Pierre

              At 05:07 18/05/2004, you wrote:
              >Hello,
              >
              >For some research I am doing, I would like to hear from people who are
              >editing XML documents on the Macintosh.
              >
              >Please feel free to post here or contact me offlist.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >
              >Bill
              >
              >-------------------------
              >Bill Trippe
              >New Millennium Publishing
              >763 Massachusetts Avenue
              >Cambridge, MA 02139
              >781 526 2564
              >btrippe@...
              >
              >See http://nmpub.com/blog/ for "Ideas in Technology and Publishing"
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Pierre Attar (mailto:pat@...)
              Consultant en informatique documentaire XML
              Consultant in Structured Document engineering

              Projet "Mutualiser l'effort de montée en compétences sur XML"
              http://www.mutu-xml.org/index.html
            • Bill Trippe
              Message 6 of 8 , May 18, 2004
                Pierre wrote:

                > XMLMind is working on java plateform ... that means also Mac.

                Hello Pierre,

                Thanks for the information. I have sent a query to them.

                Are you connected with the product, or have you worked with it? I am aware
                that Java tools are an option, especially with OS X, so I guess I would like
                to hear about some real experience with the products.

                Thanks,

                Bill

                -------------------------
                Bill Trippe
                New Millennium Publishing
                763 Massachusetts Avenue
                Cambridge, MA 02139
                781 526 2564
                btrippe@...

                See http://nmpub.com/blog/ for "Ideas in Technology and Publishing"
              • Michael Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , May 18, 2004
                  Bill,

                  I use nXML mode for GNU Emacs. It runs on any platform that GNU Emacs
                  runs. There are several people on the emacs-nxml-mode mailing list that
                  are running it under OS X. I wrote up an xmlhack item about it -

                  http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=2061

                  What sets it apart from pretty much every other XML editor is that it
                  has a mechanism for identifying and visually highlighting validity
                  errors in real time. There's only one other application I know of that
                  can do something similar: Topologi Collaborative Markup Editor.

                  And if you open a large document with nXML -- one that takes a while to
                  parse/validate -- it does incremental parsing/validation in the
                  background, in the idle time between keystrokes, while still showing you
                  any validity errors in the portion of the document that it's displaying.