RE: [xml-doc] Migrating From FrameMaker to XML Publishing?

  • kadlec
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi, Jim -

      "That's what's happening with XML "solutions." Tools drive the
      adoption
      of XML, because the best old solutions -- Interleaf
      (Quicksilver) and
      Frame -- are no longer adequate."

      I'm not sure I agree with your core premise here- I think the internet
      drove the subset to XML, not inadequate tools. What is driving XML tools
      is the internet because the internet needed a better subset than HTML
      and ways to manipulate text... sans browser tools. Tools don't drive
      anything... the work drives the creation of the tools. The need to do
      electronic interchange of text as well as data is what drove the need to
      develop the internet.

      The evolution is still on-going with Adobe - Adobe was never good at
      marketing for technical/corporate business... they haven't improved
      their approach much since they purchased FrameMaker. But, in my opinion,
      they are still developing brilliant tools. If the Frame tool and its
      marketing doesn't continue to evolve, it will go the way of I-Leaf and
      Ventura... but XML/SGML will continue and those who are developing for
      the markup languages will survive because I don't see the internet going
      away any time soon. I think some of the new tools will be fine for the
      surface-to-air SAX application of porting to the internet... but
      SGML/XML can have deeper roots and purposes in electronic information
      work products.

      Separate from the internet, technical publishing work needs a heavy
      engine, DOM and SAX and/or the combos... there are many on the drawing
      table as we speak and waiting for the economy to recover. Whether Adobe
      retools their Frame development language is their call; this combo
      product between standard Frame and Frame+SGML has some interesting
      aspects. If they don't continue to evolve it, someone will build one
      and we will adapt - not convert, transform. Or maybe Adobe has a phasing
      plan from Frame-to-??? - and those of you who are saying In-Design, be
      careful, there are two distinct markets here and what works for one and
      the other will evolve into something completely different - - I think --
      as those two markets morph on their own - perhaps driven by what
      electronic interchange really needs, instead of being driven by output
      media devices.

      Thanks for your input. Maybe you could clarify further?

      Sharon Kadlec
      InformationXDesign
      17715 Eureka Avenue West
      Farmington, MN 55024-9088