Re: [xml-doc] Browsers that support HTML 4 but don't support XHTML1?

  • Eoin Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2003
      MS-IE 5 and 6 do not support either HTML 4 or XHTML 1.0.

      IE requires using the EMBED element rather than the OBJECT element,
      which is used to include Flash files for example.
      For this reason you often see HTML like <OBJECT...><EMBED ...></OBJECT>
      to cope with both variants, but this won't validate even against
      the Loose/Transitional HTML 4 or XHTML 1 DTDs.

      MS-IE 5 and 6 also do not support XHTML 1.0 markup.
      Try including an external script with the short form of
      empty XML elements ( <script src="file.js"/> ),
      or a text form field (<input ... />).

      Additionally, MS-IE 5/6 on Windows do not support CSS1 properly,
      if you consider that part of HTML/XHTML compliance.

      Mozilla 1.0 does support XHTML 1.0 markup, although I don't
      know if it is fully compliant.

      --
      Eoin Campbell, Technical Director, XML Workshop Ltd,
      10 Greenmount Industrial Estate, Harolds Cross, Dublin 12, IRELAND.