An excellent roundup of Microsoft future directions...

  • David Neeley
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2003
      http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html

      The most comprehensive I've run across, and it has many
      implications for XML and technical writing, I believe.

      David

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Paul Tremblay
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:44:46PM -0800, David Neeley wrote:
        > http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html
        >
        > The most comprehensive I've run across, and it has many
        > implications for XML and technical writing, I believe.

        Wow. If even 10 percent of this is true, it means Microsoft is guaging
        for a full-out war. The writer seems biased towards linux--I myself am a
        linux user, so always try to separate the hype from the fact. But if
        what he says is true, then the computer world could mirror the way on
        terrorism. In the war on terrorism, you are either with Bush or against
        him, with no middle ground. You might really not want to be with him,
        but if you resist, you could pay a price.

        Gates seems like he is going to force people into a similar dilemma. If
        you choose linux (or another technology), will your data be compatible
        with MS's new scheme? Will you end up in the cold and out of a job? On
        the other hand, if you accept MS, will you be permenatly screwed?

        The implications for XML are ominous as well. I think Gates is trying to
        corrupt XML for his benefit. Whether he'll succeed is another
        matter--I'll leave that call to the users with a zillion times more
        experience than me.

        The article has a link to a "devastating" letter from Nunez, a citzen of
        Peru, to Gates. This link is dead, and I would love to read this letter.
        I tried googling with no luck. Anyone have a link?

        Paul

        --

        ************************
        *Paul Tremblay *
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
          At 2003-03-01 12:17 -0500, Paul Tremblay wrote:
          >The article has a link to a "devastating" letter from Nunez, a citzen of
          >Peru, to Gates. This link is dead, and I would love to read this letter.
          >I tried googling with no luck. Anyone have a link?

          http://www.pimientolinux.com/peru2ms/index.html

          Interesting reading!

          ................ Ken

          --
          Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
          North America: June 16-20, 2003

          G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@...
          Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
          Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc
        • Eoin Campbell
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
            I just finished reading this 50-page document, and
            recommend it highly. It has very little to do with
            technical writing though, other than to raise
            serious questions as to whether one should upgrade
            to Office 2003 for its XML support or not.

            XML support in Word 2003 looks great, but with all the
            other baggage that comes with it (licensing restrictions,
            rights management services, etc.), it might be too high
            a price to pay in terms of information independence.
            http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html#office
            http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-985496.html
            http://www.theregus.com/content/4/25859.html

            At 28 Feb 2003 14:44:46, David Neeley wrote:

            >http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html
            >
            >The most comprehensive I've run across, and it has many
            >implications for XML and technical writing, I believe.

            --
            Eoin Campbell, Technical Director, XML Workshop Ltd,
            10 Greenmount Industrial Estate, Harolds Cross, Dublin 12, IRELAND.