XML Question

  • Sgalvan2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
      Can someone tell me how to go about finding information on how to get XML to
      retrieve a URL from a file, open it up and be on a timer before closing that
      URL and opening a new one?

      I am so lost!
      Barbara

      ****************
      Coming soon "Rapid Web Development with Cache" Jan 2003
    • Dave Pawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2002
        At 15:55 14/06/2002 -0400, you wrote:
        >Can someone tell me how to go about finding information on how to get XML to
        >retrieve a URL from a file, open it up and be on a timer before closing that
        >URL and opening a new one?

        Barbara, XML is not a programming language.
        No timers, no 'actions'.

        Think of it as an open data format, ASCII for the 21st century,
        not a language.

        HTH DaveP
      • rogerw
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 2002
          On the MS platform, you can use msxml2.xmlhttp40
          object to execute xpath queries with the http
          protocol. There are a few different strategies for
          handling the latency issue in the http request
          including vb timer control, custom handler class, or
          the DOM. With the timer control and the handler class,
          you use the readyState property of the xmlhttp40
          object. With the DOM, you use the async property and
          the load method. Can't go into much detail here, but
          there's plenty on msdn. Just do a search on xmlhttp40
          and readystate. I'm sure other platforms have their
          equivalents, but I can't tell you what they are.

          roger

          Message: 7
          Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:18:08 +0100
          From: Dave Pawson <daveP@...>