RE: [xml-doc] Complete list of content management systems

  • Bret Freeman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 14, 2002
      Vasont (formerly TARGET 2000) should definitely be on your list.
      www.vasont.com

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 14, 2002
        Hello,

        Also Content@ www.xyenterprise.com

        Regards,

        Gerrit

        Bret Freeman wrote:

        >Vasont (formerly TARGET 2000) should definitely be on your list.
        >www.vasont.com

      • Rosenberg, Barry
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 14, 2002
          Hello,

          You can also add Content Server and Participant Server, both
          made by divine. Information is available at:

          www.openmarket.com (just click on Product Information)

          --Sincerely,
          Barry Rosenberg

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 14, 2002
            Max - we also looked at Contenta(XyEnterprise) and Target 2000 from
            Progressive Information Technologies.

            "Max Dunn" <maxdunn@...> on 06/14/2002 03:44:58 PM

            Please respond to xml-doc@yahoogroups.com

            To: <xml-doc@yahoogroups.com>
            cc:

            Hi all,

            I am trying to find a complete list of current content management
            systems. Can anyone add to this list, and provide URLs for any
            additions?
            - Documentum
            - Lightspeed Astoria
            - Empolis
            - Broadvision IM
            - Interwoven
            - Siberlogic
            - Vignette

            Thanks in advance,

            Max

            Health Services Corporation and are intended only for the addressee(s).
            notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to CSOffice@.... Thank you
          • Brad Lindroth
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 14, 2002
              Max,

              I believe you need to add our product Content@

              --

              Brad Lindroth, Senior Sales Executive
              Xyvision Enterprise Solutions

            • Bill Hall
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 15, 2002
                Max Dunn asked for a list of content management systems, with URLs.

                Australia probably leads the world in developing content management
                technology, and our products have achieved some significant export successes
                into the US up against some of the products already listed despite limited
                marketing.

                My company is a significant user of the technology, and we are currently
                exploring more options in relationship to the deployment of an overall
                corporate knowledge management strategy.

                Following is my annotated list. Australian products listed first, then
                another one I am aware of to fill out the picture. I provide some details on
                the Australian products, since they lead the world in technology but not in
                self-marketing. The $A exchange rate may also make the Aussie products more
                competitive in the USA.

                --------

                RMIT's Structured Information Manager (SIM) / TeraText
                (http://www.teratext.com)

                SIM (http://www.simdb.com) is developed by the Multimedia Database Systems
                unit at RMIT University in Melbourne (http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au). MDS has
                recently spun off a private company known as InQuirion
                (http://www.inquirion.com) and formed a relationship with the US company
                SAIC (http://www.saic.com) to market the product in North America and Europe
                under the name TeraText.

                We have implemented an earlier version to manage maintenance procedures for
                the Australian and New Zealand fleet of frigates as described in my May,
                2001 Technical Communication article
                (http://www.tenix.com/PDFLibrary/91.pdf).

                I believe that TeraText is to documented knowledge, what Oracle is to
                transactional and tabular data. The repository is a native XML database,
                which happily works with many different structural formats (SGML, HTML, RTF
                (i.e., word), MARC, etc. - or binary formats at the file level). TeraText is
                a database system developed from first principles to process and manage
                hierarchically structured and linked information. For or indexing
                hierarchically structured textual knowledge (e.g., that which can be
                represented in SGML or XML) TeraText's indexing capability is orders of
                magnitude faster and prodigiously scaleable by comparison to object oriented
                or relational databases. Production implementations of TeraText are able to
                index literally terabytes of text daily, CONCURRENTLY with processing
                queries against the same multiple terabyte databases.

                Licensing of the core system includes the indexing repository server, a
                powerful web server, admin, security and logging servers, and a very
                powerful OYO application creation language. The document (and document
                component) management system is a powerful add on including all document and
                content management functionality along with a workflow capability.

                TeraText's largest market is probably the US defence intelligence community,
                although its application construction environment, Ace, allows it to handle
                virtually any KM task where the knowledge is expressed textually. I don't
                know how the intelligence community uses TeraText, but the Federation of
                American Scientist's (http://www.fas.org) web pages on Echelon leads to some
                obvious guesses.

                The following ten examples give a hint of the sweeping range of TeraText's
                ultimate KM/CM capabilities outside of the intelligence area:

                of Technical documentation: We have extended the system to add annotations
                with two-way links which provide a way to capture large amounts of an
                author's otherwise tacit knowledge about sources of knowledge used in
                writing the documentation, and have extended the web-based review and
                signoff capabilities to include the customer (authoring is done in
                Melbourne - the customer is based in Fremantle). Additional information on
                the Tenix implementation can be found via Google:
                http://www.google.com/search?q=tenix+sgml+sim+rmit&num=50&filter=0

                o Dictionary authoring and Web serving: SIM/TeraText was first used in
                authoring the Macquarie Dictionary
                (http://web.archive.org/web/20010506194355/http://www.sun.ac.za/wat/lex9/mac
                qua3.html), and currently forms the basis for Macquarienet
                (http://www.macnet.mq.edu.au/anonymous@E613463995+0/-/p/index.html).

                o Legislation authoring, enactment and access: SIM/TeraText manages the
                entire legislation process from the initial drafts to providing official and
                public access to current and point in time legislation. This was first
                implemented by the Tasmanian Legislature (http://www.thelaw.tas.gov.au/),
                but it is my understanding that systems are being implemented in Canada and
                Papua New Guinea. For background see
                http://elj.warwick.ac.uk/jilt/00-1/arnold.html.

                o Authoring and management of standards: Standards Australia has based
                their entire standards authoring process on a do it yourself implementation
                of TeraText (http://www.standards.com.au) - which has now been extended
                widely into their operations and web presence. E.g., see
                https://committees.standards.com.au/INFO/Z9999/INFORMATION-Z9999.HTM, and
                http://www.knowledge.standards.com.au/ for a couple of samples of its use.
                See http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/aw2k/papers/sefton/paper.html for background on
                their implementation.

                o Managing and serving a major university Web: RMIT University itself is
                now authored, managed and served in a TeraText implementation
                (http://www.rmit.edu.au). See also
                http://www.vala.org.au/vala2002/2002pdf/07WBASch.pdf

                o Taxation knowledge: The Australian Tax Office (ATO) uses TeraText to
                manage and serve its entire collection of taxation knowledge to its internal
                offices throughout Australia. A small fraction of this is made available to
                the public via the Web (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/index.htm)

                o Digitisation and serving of literature on ancient religions:
                http://rosetta.atla-certr.org/CERTR/ATLAS/. Based on web searches, I know
                that SIM was at least trialed on this project, and they may still be using
                it.

                o Comprehensive indexing and access to Web and intranet-based educational
                resources:
                http://www.teratext.com/get/page/browser/browser?category=Solutions/Educatio
                n as implemented for the Victorian Department of Education. See also
                http://www.go.vic.gov.au/Documents/mmv.ppt.

                o Government archives and genealogical records:
                http://www.teratext.com/get/page/browser/browser?category=Solutions/Educatio
                n including over 50,000 scanned photographic items.

                o Research grants peer review and administration system: Implemented by the
                Department of Education, Science and Training (used to be DETYA) -
                http://www.arc.gov.au/ncgp/gams_info.asp

                ---------

                Tower Software's TRIM records and electronic document management system

                At this point in time Canberra-based Tower Software (http://www.ustrim.com/)
                would have to be one of the world leaders in the electronic records and file
                management through their involvement in EDS's $US 6 BN US Navy and Marine
                Corps Internet rollout, where they are supplying the record and file
                management component to some 350,000 desktops on land and at sea. It is also
                used in many government record management implementations in Australia and
                overseas.

                Tenix has had nothing to do with Tower Software or TRIM, but I am aware of
                it through monitoring defence activities.

                ---------

                Objective Corporation's Objective document and records management

                Objective is a publicly listed company based in Sydney with a number of
                offices in Australia and overseas - including in the US) which has become
                quite successful in the document and records workflow management area -
                http://www.objective.com/. Objective is advertised as a knowledge and
                process manager.

                The Objective Suite is popular with a wide range of government and other
                organisations and has achieved some export success into the UK. The easily
                configured workflow component and metadata creation capabilities provide the
                capacity to capturing some of the surrounding context of a document which
                make it a good record processing and management system. Unlike TeraText,
                Objective does not offer much to manage content within structured
                documents - it is primarily concerned to protect and manage the document as
                a well controlled object.

                Tenix implemented the system around 1995 to provide revision control and
                check in / check out capabilities for a class of maintenance related
                documents. It served quite capably in this role, but did not provide us with
                the capacity to control and reuse elements of text within the documents.

                ---------

                Non-Australian content management product not already listed include:

                Software AG's Tamino suite (http://www.softwareag.com) native XML database

                Bill Hall
                Information is not knowledge
                Knowledge is not wisdom
                Wisdom is not truth
                Truth is not beauty
                Beauty is not love
                Love is not music
                Music is THE BEST
                -----------------------------
                (Zappa - Packard Goose)
              • James Robertson
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 15, 2002
                  At 05:44 15/06/2002, Max Dunn wrote:

                  >Hi all,
                  >
                  >I am trying to find a complete list of current content management
                  >systems. Can anyone add to this list, and provide URLs for any
                  >additions?

                  Hi Max,

                  I would recommend having a look at
                  the following sites, which provide a
                  comprehensive list of CMS solutions
                  (along with a summary of features):

                  http://www.clueful.com.au/cgi-bin/cmsdirectory/browse/Products
                  http://www.hartman-communicatie.nl/content/tools.htm
                  http://www.allen.com/cms-vendors.html
                  http://www.cmsinfo.org/

                  That should get you started ...

                  Also, if you are looking for CMS
                  resources, can I strongly recommend
                  that you join the following list:

                  http://cms-list.org/

                  (This is without a doubt _the_ most
                  valuable mailing list I've joined.)

                  Hope this helps,
                  James

                  -------------------------
                  James Robertson
                  Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
                  Knowledge Management Consultancy, SGML & XML

                  Content Management Requirements Toolkit
                  112 CMS requirements, ready to cut-and-paste

                  http://www.steptwo.com.au/
                  jamesr@...
                • Barry A. Schaeffer
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2002
                    Max Dunn wrote:

                    "I am trying to find a complete list of current content management
                    systems. Can anyone add to this list, and provide URLs for any
                    additions? "

                    A couple of thoughts come to mind. The term CM has become hopeslessly
                    confusing because at least three very different functions are "munged" together
                    under the same name. Of course, there are software systems that support each
                    area, each often being confused with systems that support the others. While
                    the marketing organizations of some firms would like you to believe that their
                    tool does them all well, the reality is that these are pretty different worlds
                    requiring different approaches and experience. Our sense, along with Gartner
                    and other analysts, is that the following breakdown covers the full range of
                    "CM" applications:

                    1. "Source or Document Content Management" supports
                    the processes required to create and finalize rich
                    content. Documentum and our GEMt are examples of
                    this area.
                    2. "Web Content Management" supports the organization
                    and delivery of material already ready for publication,
                    including personalization and extraction of DBMS
                    content where appropriate. Stellent and IBM Web-
                    sphere might represent this area.

                    3. "Digital Asset Management" supports the processes
                    required to determine and act on the privilege to access
                    content in a controlled environment. Artesia might be
                    an example of a DAM

                    We are in a similar position as the arctic explorer who has one word to
                    describe "snow" while the local eskimos have, in there language, up to 14, each
                    descriptive of a condition that could affect their survival.
                    This confusion, and the willingness of some firms to exploit it to sell
                    products to people who needed something else, has not been our industry's
                    finest hour and has set back the cause of a well-managed, flexible information
                    life-cycle support environment.

                    BTW: you may want to add GEMt, X.Systems' Source Content Management system to
                    the list. GEMt is based on Tamino, the native XML repository from Software AG
                    and is tightly integrated with Arbortext's Epic editorial software. GEMt
                    manages XML, SGML, media and other content types. This ensures a high level of
                    control and management across a wide range of content types. GEM, pre-Tamino,
                    was designed in the mid 90s and has been in use since then. With Tamino, the
                    mature application layer in GEM gains a whole new perspective on structured
                    content and work management.

                    GEMt information may be found at http://www.xsystemsinc.com/xsiweb/software.htm
                    including the GEMt core functionality plus link management, variant and reuse
                    management, revision control and where-used support.

                    Regards,

                    Barry Schaeffer

                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    X.Systems, Inc.
                    ...content management for the Internet Age
                    703-330-1645 www.xsystemsinc.com
                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  • Max Dunn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2002
                      > A couple of thoughts come to mind. The term CM has become hopelessly
                      > confusing because at least three very different functions are "munged"

                      > together under the same name.

                      > 1. "Source or Document Content Management"

                      > 2. "Web Content Management"

                      > 3. "Digital Asset Management"

                      Yes, thanks, that is quite true. I should clarify that I'm interested in
                      category 1, but hope that over time there is less distinction between
                      the three. I think it's interesting that there is such a thing as pure
                      "Web Content Management" as I would hope that single-source means, uh,
                      single-source, so content could be authored, managed, published to the
                      Web or to print, exchanged electronically, etc. from a single system.
                      But there seem to be some very different perspectives between, say,
                      Interwoven and Astoria.

                      Which brings up another question: what systems (if any) truly do both 1
                      and 2 well?

                      Ideally XML will be the core of this, I think some of the Web content
                      management systems are not really XML-based. Links are an interesting
                      issue, it seems that XML still doesn't provide a well-implemented
                      mechanism for managing links that meets the true needs for linking
                      between documents from such a system, so ultimately there is something
                      system-specific about how links are handled?

                      Third and final new question: are there statistics anywhere on how many
                      implementations of the different systems (or even a specific system) are
                      out there?

                      Tamino is great (beautiful technology, though I think it's suicidally
                      priced), I was wondering when someone would use it for content
                      management, but it obviously needs a layer something like GEMt. Will
                      have to check that out...

                      Thanks to all that have replied, I will try to consolidate what I glean
                      from this online at some point.

                      Regards,

                      Max
                    • James Robertson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2002
                        At 01:34 18/06/2002, you wrote:

                        > > A couple of thoughts come to mind. The term CM has become hopelessly
                        > > confusing because at least three very different functions are "munged"
                        >
                        > > together under the same name.
                        >
                        > > 1. "Source or Document Content Management"
                        >
                        > > 2. "Web Content Management"
                        >
                        > > 3. "Digital Asset Management"
                        >
                        >Yes, thanks, that is quite true. I should clarify that I'm interested in
                        >category 1, but hope that over time there is less distinction between
                        >the three. I think it's interesting that there is such a thing as pure
                        >"Web Content Management" as I would hope that single-source means, uh,
                        >single-source, so content could be authored, managed, published to the
                        >Web or to print, exchanged electronically, etc. from a single system.
                        >But there seem to be some very different perspectives between, say,
                        >Interwoven and Astoria.

                        I would strongly encourage you to sit down
                        and develop your organisation's specific
                        business needs first, before evaluating
                        vendors or products.

                        (There is certainly no "best" product in any
                        of these three categories, only solutions that
                        fit your needs better or worse.)

                        Unfortunately, working out the requirements
                        for an "enterprise" CMS is not easy.

                        You might want to have a browse through the
                        (vendor- and product-neutral) articles on our site.

                        Especially: "How to Evaluate a CMS"
                        http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/kmc_evaluate/index.html

                        Hope this helps,
                        James

                        -------------------------
                        James Robertson
                        Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
                        Knowledge Management Consultancy, SGML & XML

                        Content Management Requirements Toolkit
                        112 CMS requirements, ready to cut-and-paste

                        http://www.steptwo.com.au/
                        jamesr@...
                      • Eoin Campbell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 18, 2002
                          I strongly agree.
                          There is something of a backlash against commercial
                          CMSs at the moment, and probably rightly so.

                          See the article "DIY content management has a competitive advantage"
                          at http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/02/1022569848468.html
                          which refers to a new Jupiter report
                          "The Content Management Threshold", which recommends
                          home-grown systems rather than commercial CMSs in all
                          but the largest of enterprises
                          (cf. http://www.jmm.com/xp/jmm/press/2002/pr_061102.xml
                          "Companies Overpaying For Content Management Technology").

                          I would start by clearly defining and documenting your
                          processes, optimising them, applying XML and other technologies
                          where it will improve efficiency and automation,
                          such as online and print publishing, and finally
                          supporting the process with workflow and/or a formal database,
                          but only when you really know all that you do with your content.
                          I gave a short paper advocating this approach at XML Europe 200
                          a couple of weeks ago
                          (cf. http://www.xmlw.ie/events.html for links to the paper and slides).

                          At 01:34 18/06/2002, James Robertson wrote:
                          >I would strongly encourage you to sit down
                          >and develop your organisation's specific
                          >business needs first, before evaluating
                          >vendors or products.
                          >
                          >(There is certainly no "best" product in any
                          >of these three categories, only solutions that
                          >fit your needs better or worse.)
                          >
                          >Unfortunately, working out the requirements
                          >for an "enterprise" CMS is not easy.

                          --
                          Eoin Campbell, Technical Director, XML Workshop Ltd,
                          10 Greenmount Industrial Estate, Harolds Cross, Dublin 12, IRELAND.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 18, 2002
                            Hi Max

                            My company recently embarked on finding a CMS for our
                            XML knowledge base and related file management.

                            Attached is a list of vendors who received our RFP.

                            Very few could meet out requirements with XML &
                            Unicode amongst other things and many did not reply.

                            The one that came out most technically superior for
                            our scenario was Vasont

                            Hope you find it useful

                            Chris

                          • Michael Smith
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 23, 2002
                              Frankly <unambiguous_uk@...> writes:

                              > Hi Max
                              >
                              > My company recently embarked on finding a CMS for our
                              > XML knowledge base and related file management.
                              >
                              > Attached is a list of vendors who received our RFP.

                              [...]

                              I have xml-doc configured to strip out all attachments, so the
                              attachment didn't make it through. But you can post the list of
                              vendors to the xml-doc Files area:

                            • Frankly
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 25, 2002
                                Hi Michael

                                This is now done

                                Thanks
                                Chris

                                --- Michael Smith <smith@...> wrote:
                                > Frankly <unambiguous_uk@...> writes:
                                >
                                > > Hi Max
                                > >
                                > > My company recently embarked on finding a CMS for
                                > our
                                > > XML knowledge base and related file management.
                                > >
                                > > Attached is a list of vendors who received our
                                > RFP.
                                >
                                > [...]
                                >
                                > I have xml-doc configured to strip out all
                                > attachments, so the
                                > attachment didn't make it through. But you can post
                                > the list of
                                > vendors to the xml-doc Files area:

                                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                              • dlwhite66
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 26, 2002
                                  All of Arbortext's partners are listed in the xls file except for
                                  Oracle iFS. We have several customers using Oracle iFS.

                                  Dave White
                                  Director, Business Development
                                  Arbortext, Inc.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 26, 2002
                                    oops, Also missing is X.Systems (as Barry has already pointed out ;-)

                                    Dave