Re: [XML-DOC] Digest Number 5

  • John Hanratty/Towers Perrin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2000
      I've just joined this group, so apologies if this is old ground.

      I also had to convert legacy Word docs (to SGML). The difference is that the
      people who create our content -- who are not professional writers -- still use
      Word to write/edit the documents, so in addition to generating HTML for
      publishing to our users, we also have to output from SGML to Word.

      For this, we use MS Word SGML Author. It took us a while to get used to its
      idiosyncrasies, but we can now convert Word docs to and from SGML pretty easily.
      BIG CAVEAT: it doesn't handle equations at all well.

      The main thing we found was to make sure the original word docs were
      "structured" properly (e.g. no H1s were followed by an H3 without at least one
      H2 in between) , and that styles, rather than manual formatting, were used
      *everywhere* (a lot of that can be done by simple search & replace).

      Once those things were cleaned up, the one-off conversion to structued SGML
      (which can be edited in Frame + SGML, Adept Editor or wherever) was easy. When
      we get new Word content, we paste it straight our SGML source files via the
      Windows clipboard, adding the markup as we go, so after the initial one-off
      conversion to SGML from Word, we only do down-conversions from SGML to Word &
      HTML.

      I would like to know, though, if anyone else is in a similar situation, and uses
      another means (maybe OmniMark?) to get from SGML to Word and vice versa, as MS
      have said they will not be maintaining SGML Author beyond Office 97.
    • S. Champ
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2000
        > and that styles, rather than manual formatting, were used
        > *everywhere*

        ...apologies if this is too off-topic, but what of the legacy issues about
        web-UAs and style-sheets?
      • John Hanratty/Towers Perrin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12, 2000
          Sorry, I don't understand your question.

          "S. Champ" <s-champ@...> on 12/07/2000 01:33:17

          Please respond to xml-doc@egroups.com

          To: xml-doc@egroups.com
          cc: (bcc: John Hanratty/Towers Perrin)
          From: "S. Champ" <s-champ@...>
          Date: 11/07/2000 20:33 EDT
          Subject: Re: [XML-DOC] Digest Number 5

          > and that styles, rather than manual formatting, were used
          > *everywhere*

          ...apologies if this is too off-topic, but what of the legacy issues about
          web-UAs and style-sheets?

          BTW: Did you buy that new car yet?
          If not, check this site out.
          They're called CarsDirect.com and it's a pretty sweet way to buy a car.
          http://click.egroups.com/1/6847/5/_/_/_/963361942/