RE: Congrats for this list

  • Stephen.MacDonald@Aspect.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11 5:20 AM
      Subject: Re: Congrats for this list

      Mike Smith wrote:

      >Well, I'm a technical writer working for a Hewlett-Packard
      >subsidiary in Austin, Texas that makes distributed output
      >management software. ...
      .
      .
      .
      >I started XML-DOC not only to give technical writers a forum for
      >focused discussions about XML topics, ...

      Many hurrahs.!

      I've started tech writing 20 years ago, moved into a number of other roles
      and for the last five years have been back in tech writing. I wrote my
      first manual with an ASCII editor on a Digital VAX. The text was
      transferred to a Compugraphic typesetter and pasted up and laid out by a
      document preparation group. Personally I look forward to XML freeing us
      from the tyranny of WYSIWYG GUIs like MS Word or Framemaker. I hope to move
      to working on the source with editors like Homesite or FrontPage and leave
      the layout and format to the style sheet folks. Hopefully XML will allow us
      to return to focusing on the content.

      Later,
      Steve MacDonald
      Aspect Communications, Inc.