Re: [xml-doc] Re: Life after Frame+SGML
- Someone else mentioned WordPerfect. We find ourselves coming back to it
frequently because it fits four of our five main criteria:
1) can it produce print stylesheets with full justification and
hyphenation in multiple languages. (we produce the online stylesheets in
2) is it easy enough to teach to our student taggers in an hour or two
(they generally have no SGML/XML experience)
3) is it cheap
4) does it run right out of the box with little or no tweaking and
certainly no scripting or programming.
It doesn't meet the fifth item on the wish list: can it run on a Mac. It
is less than perfectly stable at times, which is why I am always on the
lookout for a replacement. We are going to dabble with FrameMaker
because of the platform issue but any suggestions for an alternative
would be most welcome.
- Hope Greenberg, Univ of Vermont
>>However, we haven't been able to find a tool with as user-friendly an
>>interface for working with the markup as FM+SGML. At present it seems
>>for us that the benefits of XML are offset by non-user-friendly tools
>>for working with the markup.