RE: XMetal and Docbook

  • Brian Martin
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
      I'm very interested in an XMetal docbook solution for substituting Word, Frame, and a lot of
      other tools.

      My output needs are HTML, Word, PDF, and JavaHelp.

      John Turnbull wrote "This is not a promise to deliver
      out-of-the-box DocBook [in XMetaL], but I will certainly represent the
      interests of DocBook users and, if there are enough of you, I'll get the
      process underway."

      Thanks,

      Brian Martin
      Sodalia, SpA
    • Michael Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hi John,

        You wrote:

        > [...] Historically, SoftQuad has been successful with customers who
        > need to develop their own DTDs (usually several of them) and who
        > work in XML processes where presentation is always multiple and,
        > therefore, a somewhat separate issue. Arbortext, on the other hand,
        > has relied more heavily on DocBook as a basis for development.

        I have to say, speaking just as an end user, I can't really see
        anything in Arbortext's products that suggests the basis for their
        development "relied" on DocBook in any way, especially to the
        exclusion of support for any other DTD.

        And I'd guess that Arbortext has also been quite successful with the
        same kinds of customers you mention -- "customers who need to develop
        their own DTDs (usually several of them) and who work in XML processes
        where presentation is always multiple and, therefore, a somewhat
        separate issue" -- and that the fact that some of their products offer
        integrated DocBook support (support you can use if they want it,
        ignore completely if you don't) hasn't limited in any way their
        success with those kinds of customers.

        Anyway, I've followed the rest of the thread and realize you know all
        this already (or you wouldn't be bothering to take the time to discuss
        the idea of adding integrated DocBook support to XMetaL) -- and I'm
        sure you'd agree it'd be a mistake for anybody to perceive a product
        as necessarily DocBook-centric or not-as-useful-with-other-DTDs just
        because it happens to provide optional off-the-shelf integrated
        DocBook support -- or for that matter, to perceive a product that
        *lacked* integrated DocBook support as somehow necessarily more
        flexible or useful because of that deficiency.

        So probably you can, um, guess that I too am one of those who'd like
        to see some integrated DocBook support added to XMetaL.

        --Mike
      • Haas, Carl
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
          I haven't used it in a production environment yet, but SiberLogic integrates the XMetal editor with their content-management system and promises DocBook support "out of the box." See http://www.siberlogic.com/products/xml/.

          Carl Haas
          MarketSoft Corporation
          Lexington, MA