RE: [xml-doc] RE: XMetal and Docbook

  • sara.mitchell@ps.ge.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
      One more vote for this:
      [snipped]

      > Peter ring hit the nail squarely on the head, when he asked for link
      > management in an XMetaL doc book upgrade.
      >
      > Link management is a VERY BIG THING in our organisation, and
      > yes we have a
      > state of the art content management system to help us.
      > However, an API that
      > provided an easy to use generic capability to grab any link
      > to maintain
      > two-way connections across many different documents might kill the
      > competition from our point of view.

      It is a BIG thing.

      Sara Mitchell
    • Brian Martin
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
        I'm very interested in an XMetal docbook solution for substituting Word, Frame, and a lot of
        other tools.

        My output needs are HTML, Word, PDF, and JavaHelp.

        John Turnbull wrote "This is not a promise to deliver
        out-of-the-box DocBook [in XMetaL], but I will certainly represent the
        interests of DocBook users and, if there are enough of you, I'll get the
        process underway."

        Thanks,

        Brian Martin
        Sodalia, SpA
      • Michael Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi John,

          You wrote:

          > [...] Historically, SoftQuad has been successful with customers who
          > need to develop their own DTDs (usually several of them) and who
          > work in XML processes where presentation is always multiple and,
          > therefore, a somewhat separate issue. Arbortext, on the other hand,
          > has relied more heavily on DocBook as a basis for development.

          I have to say, speaking just as an end user, I can't really see
          anything in Arbortext's products that suggests the basis for their
          development "relied" on DocBook in any way, especially to the
          exclusion of support for any other DTD.

          And I'd guess that Arbortext has also been quite successful with the
          same kinds of customers you mention -- "customers who need to develop
          their own DTDs (usually several of them) and who work in XML processes
          where presentation is always multiple and, therefore, a somewhat
          separate issue" -- and that the fact that some of their products offer
          integrated DocBook support (support you can use if they want it,
          ignore completely if you don't) hasn't limited in any way their
          success with those kinds of customers.

          Anyway, I've followed the rest of the thread and realize you know all
          this already (or you wouldn't be bothering to take the time to discuss
          the idea of adding integrated DocBook support to XMetaL) -- and I'm
          sure you'd agree it'd be a mistake for anybody to perceive a product
          as necessarily DocBook-centric or not-as-useful-with-other-DTDs just
          because it happens to provide optional off-the-shelf integrated
          DocBook support -- or for that matter, to perceive a product that
          *lacked* integrated DocBook support as somehow necessarily more
          flexible or useful because of that deficiency.

          So probably you can, um, guess that I too am one of those who'd like
          to see some integrated DocBook support added to XMetaL.

          --Mike
        • Haas, Carl
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
            I haven't used it in a production environment yet, but SiberLogic integrates the XMetal editor with their content-management system and promises DocBook support "out of the box." See http://www.siberlogic.com/products/xml/.

            Carl Haas
            MarketSoft Corporation
            Lexington, MA