Re: [xml-doc] XML parsers

  • Christopher R. Maden

      At 11:38 12-12-2001, Dinculescu, Christiana wrote:
      >The XML parsers I used till now preserve the order of siblings when a
      >document is parsed/dumped in/from DOM. I don't see any reason a parser will
      >change the order, but I'm interested from the formal point of view.
      >I'd like to know if this is a standard requirement or it's implementation
      >dependent.

      The order of siblings should not change. The XML Recommendation is not
      completely explicit about this, I think, but order is definitely
      significant for DTD validation. (There are many things that were so
      obvious to those with SGML experience that the XML Working Group sort of
      forgot to write them down.)

      More practically, I've never heard of any XML parser that didn't preserve
      element order, and I think the author would get shot if any such materialized.

      Attribute order is almost never preserved.

      ~Chris
      - --
      Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.
      PGP Fingerprint: BBA6 4085 DED0 E176 D6D4 5DFC AC52 F825 AFEC 58DA
    • Dave Pawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2001
        At 14:49 12/12/2001 -0800, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

        >More practically, I've never heard of any XML parser that didn't preserve
        >element order, and I think the author would get shot if any such materialized.

        Commonly known as 'document order', i.e. the order in which the
        author wrote the source document.

        Not an intuitive phrase, but well worth noting

        Regards DaveP