Named dest URLs not working

  • elolam@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
      PDF commisserators,

      I need help.

      The Acrobat Guide tells me that I can cause a PDF file to be
      opened at a particular named destination using the following
      HTML syntax:

      However, I don't seem to be able to make this work no matter what
      I do. For example, when I type the following URL directly into
      my browser I get the error message that the "file/item" was not found:

      C:\unix\gofm\resume\Output\resume4Elola.pdf#page=2

      Giving the browser the shortened URL following works fine,
      but does not open the file at the location I desired:

      C:\unix\gofm\resume\Output\resume4Elola.pdf

      Any help would be appreciated.

      -Mike

      PS: The Adobe site has a errata for Acrobat 4.0 Documentation (at
      http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1a5da.htm),
      in which it shows three examples of http URLs that should
      open a PDF file at a particular location. For me, none of these
      work in either IE 5.0 or Netscape 4:

      | Page 479 of the online version, page 223 of the printed version.
      | These are examples of valid action commands for PDF documents
      linked from HTML:
      | These are examples of valid action commands for PDF documents
      linked from HTML:
    • David Cramer
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2001
        Hi there,
        I just ran across this web site which has some information on the
        subject: http://www.tinaja.com/linkpdf1.html along with a demonstration
        file. Haven't had time to try it myself yet. I found that page from this
        page: http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/PSpdf.html

        Good luck,
        David

        The Acrobat Guide tells me that I can cause a PDF file to be
        opened at a particular named destination using the following
        HTML syntax:

        However, I don't seem to be able to make this work no matter what
        I do. For example, when I type the following URL directly into
        my browser I get the error message that the "file/item" was not found:

        C:\unix\gofm\resume\Output\resume4Elola.pdf#page=2

        Giving the browser the shortened URL following works fine,
        but does not open the file at the location I desired:

        C:\unix\gofm\resume\Output\resume4Elola.pdf

        Any help would be appreciated.

        -Mike

        PS: The Adobe site has a errata for Acrobat 4.0 Documentation (at
        http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1a5da.htm),
        in which it shows three examples of http URLs that should
        open a PDF file at a particular location. For me, none of these
        work in either IE 5.0 or Netscape 4:

        | Page 479 of the online version, page 223 of the printed version.
        | These are examples of valid action commands for PDF documents
        linked from HTML:
        | These are examples of valid action commands for PDF documents
        linked from HTML:

      • Ed Nixon
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2001
          At 10:29 AM 12/08/2001 -0500, you wrote:

          >The Acrobat Guide tells me that I can cause a PDF file to be
          >opened at a particular named destination using the following
          >HTML syntax:

          <snip>

          >C:\unix\gofm\resume\Output\resume4Elola.pdf#page=2
          >
          >Giving the browser the shortened URL following works fine,
          >but does not open the file at the location I desired:
          >
          >C:\unix\gofm\resume\Output\resume4Elola.pdf
          >
          >Any help would be appreciated.

          Could it be because you are specifying a file location rather than a
          URI/URL? Are you testing this via a web server request or via the OS file
          system? The URL for your example would be something like
          "file:///c:/unix/gofm/resume/output/resume4Elola.pdf#whatever" I'm not sure
          about the exact number of forward slashes after the file: keyword; 3 or
          perhaps 2 but not, I think, one.

          Regards. ...edN