Re: [xml-doc] winhelp to XML?

  • Jirka Kosek
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2001
      Daniel Koger wrote:

      > The CStput by Robohelp is CSS 1 compliant and will work with XML. The
      > output from robohelp is not XHTML coompliant. I would recommend using a IDE
      > or a good text editor to take the HTML and make it XHTML unless you need
      > content correlation. In which case the output from RoboHelp is not very

      I'm not familiar with RoboHelp, but if the issue is getting XHTML from
      cripled HTML, you can use HTML-Tidy utility provided freely by W3C.

      Jirka Kosek
      e-mail: jirka@...
      http://www.kosek.cz
    • tijuanasmalls@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2001
        Ideally, I want to be able to reuse the existing .doc and .rtf files
        that roboHelp uses, and dump them into something that would translate
        my existing styles into formatted web content while maintaining all
        of the links. I am thinking XML is the way to go because, as I
        understand it, you are able to create your own tags and format them
        as you wish. I know there is much more to it, and I am relatively
        unfamiliar with XML. But, in the future, as we write more
        documentation, I think that having an existing XML style sheet would
        prove beneficial. Can anyone point me in a direction here?

        --- In xml-doc@y..., Jirka Kosek <jirka@k...> wrote:
        > Daniel Koger wrote:
        > >
        > > The CStput by Robohelp is CSS 1 compliant and will work with
        XML. The
        > > output from robohelp is not XHTML coompliant. I would recommend
        using a IDE
        > > or a good text editor to take the HTML and make it XHTML unless
        you need
        > > content correlation. In which case the output from RoboHelp is
        not very

        > I'm not familiar with RoboHelp, but if the issue is getting XHTML
        from
        > cripled HTML, you can use HTML-Tidy utility provided freely by W3C.

        > Jirka Kosek
        > e-mail: jirka@k...
        > http://www.kosek.cz
      • Jirka Kosek
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2001
          tijuanasmalls@... wrote:

          > Ideally, I want to be able to reuse the existing .doc and .rtf files
          > that roboHelp uses, and dump them into something that would translate
          > my existing styles into formatted web content while maintaining all
          > of the links. I am thinking XML is the way to go because, as I
          > understand it, you are able to create your own tags and format them
          > as you wish. I know there is much more to it, and I am relatively
          > unfamiliar with XML. But, in the future, as we write more
          > documentation, I think that having an existing XML style sheet would
          > prove beneficial. Can anyone point me in a direction here?

          As a long term solution I would suggest you storing your documentation
          in some XML format, preferably DocBook. For DocBook there are available
          plenty of stylesheets, which can generate many output formats (HTML,
          RTF, PDF, HTML Help, Java Help) from single XML source. More info about
          DocBook can be found for example at www.docbook.org and
          docbook.sourceforge.net.

          Jirka Kosek
          e-mail: jirka@...
          http://www.kosek.cz
        • tijuanasmalls@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 9, 2001
            Thanks. That sounds good. I'll check it out.
            --- In xml-doc@y..., Jirka Kosek <jirka@k...> wrote:
            > tijuanasmalls@y... wrote:
            > >
            > > Ideally, I want to be able to reuse the existing .doc and .rtf
            files
            > > that roboHelp uses, and dump them into something that would
            translate
            > > my existing styles into formatted web content while maintaining
            all
            > > of the links. I am thinking XML is the way to go because, as I
            > > understand it, you are able to create your own tags and format
            them
            > > as you wish. I know there is much more to it, and I am relatively
            > > unfamiliar with XML. But, in the future, as we write more
            > > documentation, I think that having an existing XML style sheet
            would
            > > prove beneficial. Can anyone point me in a direction here?
            >
            > As a long term solution I would suggest you storing your
            documentation
            > in some XML format, preferably DocBook. For DocBook there are
            available
            > plenty of stylesheets, which can generate many output formats (HTML,
            > RTF, PDF, HTML Help, Java Help) from single XML source. More info
            about
            > DocBook can be found for example at www.docbook.org and
            > docbook.sourceforge.net.

            > Jirka Kosek
            > e-mail: jirka@k...
            > http://www.kosek.cz
          • Tom Manshreck
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2001
              Has anyone done any API-type documentation of Java packages using XML? Sun
              provides a Java-to-XML doclet, and a number of third parties also provide
              various XML doclets. I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of
              each are.

              Background:

              I'm currently working on a project where I use a variety of javadoc doclets
              to create different versions of the API documentation, including XmlDoclet,
              from Sun, Javadoc XMl from Apache, and JDox from Oasis. Docs for XmlDoclet
              itself seem nonexistent (odd, no?), and no DTD/Schema is provided. There is
              no DTD for Javadoc XMl either, and Oasis' DTD points to a 404, so I'm
              wondering if I have to create my own DTD, use a minimal DocBook, or some
              other route.

              Side question:

              Has anyone created self-documenting JavaBeans using these doclets? (I.e.
              beans that provide help as XML files when an appropriate method is invoked
              on the Java class.)

              -Tom
            • Dwayne Conyers
              Message 6 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                Are you using the *latest* version of RoboHELP?

                --
                The generation that took acid to escape reality
                Is now taking antacid to deal with reality
                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                  You know, I don't think so. I have 9.1 on my machiene. Does
                  the "latest" do what I am looking for? Do all I have to do is
                  upgrade?