RE: [xml-doc] One (XML) to many (HTML) files

  • Jelks Cabaniss
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9, 2001
      Matt wrote:

      > > > I want to use XSLT to "mine" one XML file to form many HTML
      > > > files, but I haven't been able to figure out how (without
      > > > resorting to a separate

      > I'm having exactly the same problem, can anyone recommend a processor that
      > will do this for me?

      Either XT or Saxon should do it for you -- they both use a (non-standard)
      document() function to output multiple files.

      /Jelks
    • mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2001
        I've been using LotusXSL/Xalan, which implements the extension as
        <redirect>. I've been using it a lot, and haven't had any problems (at
        least not lately).

        Michael Priestley
        mpriestl@...
        DITA Specialization Architect
      • Jirka Kosek
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9, 2001
          Matt wrote:

          > > Dave asked:
          > >
          > > > I want to use XSLT to "mine" one XML file to form many HTML files, but I
          > > > haven't been able to figure out how (without resorting to a separate
          > tool
          > >
          > > This is a known difficulty with XSLT 1.0; check the documentation for
          > > your XSLT processor to see whether an extension was added to handle it.
          >
          > I'm having exactly the same problem, can anyone recommend a processor that
          > will
          > do this for me?

          Saxon support xsl:document and saxon:output. In XT use xt:document,
          finally Xalan supports xalan:redirect.

          Jirka Kosek
          e-mail: jirka@...
          http://www.kosek.cz
        • jturnbull_2000@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9, 2001
            --- In xml-doc@y..., Dave Drexler <DDrexler@N...> wrote:
            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I want to use XSLT to "mine" one XML file to form many HTML files,
            but I
            > haven't been able to figure out how (without resorting to a
            separate tool
            > that will iteratively call the files and save the results). It
            seems like a
            > pretty basic thing - can this be done just with XSLT?

            Unless you are determined to do this with an XSLT processor
            exclusively, you could also use an application that combines
            scripting, DOM and MSXML (or your XSLT processor of choice) to walk
            the document, divide it into subsections and transform these
            separately to HTML files. This might be necessary where interaction
            with a end-user is needed. XMetaL is, of course, such an application.

            John Turnbull
            SoftQuad
          • Sebastian Rahtz
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 10, 2001
              Matt writes:
              > > > I want to use XSLT to "mine" one XML file to form many HTML files, but I
              > > > haven't been able to figure out how (without resorting to a separate
              > tool
              > >
              > > This is a known difficulty with XSLT 1.0; check the documentation for
              > > your XSLT processor to see whether an extension was added to handle it.
              >
              > I'm having exactly the same problem, can anyone recommend a processor that
              > will
              > do this for me?

              Saxon, jd, xt, xalan, oracle. is that enough?

              Sebastian
            • Matt
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10, 2001

                > > I'm having exactly the same problem, can anyone recommend a
                > processor that
                > > will
                > > do this for me?

                >> Saxon, jd, xt, xalan, oracle. is that enough?

                > Sebastian

                Many thanks, all. I'm now happily (nay, ecstaticaly) using Saxon :)

                Cheers,
                Matt
              • Dave Drexler
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 10, 2001
                  Thanks from me, as well, even though I'm less happy than Matt because I'm
                  wedded to MSXML 3.0.