Congrats for this list

  • Guru Kamath
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hello Mike,

      My congratulations to you for starting this list. I think it would be
      appropriate if you'd give a small introduction about yourself -- as this
      list is just starting. Perhaps, if you maintain a small site, your
      introduction can be featured there too.

      I am a technical writer based in Mumbai, India, and am very keen to learn
      and use XML. In India, we are doing a lot of XML coding. Basically, this is
      hand coding (through say Notepad) of XML. I have a feeling that very few
      people must be using tools like Frame+SGML.

      I just bought the book Learn XML in 21 days by Simon North and a co-author
      and am looking forward to reading it.

      Incidentally, I had prepared an introductory presentation on XML for a
      company for a half-day seminar. It took me some 7-10 days to prepare it. I
      searched the web extensively for material and my material is based on this
      research. Then the company said that it did not want the introductory
      seminar on XML! (They had no clue what XML was!)

      I really appreciate your efforts at starting this wonderful group. I would
      love to be a volunteer for this group and looki forward to assisting you in
      whatever manner you deem fit. (I have hosted several e-groups earlier -- the
      subject being technical writing.)

      I look forward to contributing to the success of this group.

      Greetings from India!

      Guru
      guru@...
    • Paul Hoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2000
        Hi,

        This new list is excellent timing for me. Thanks for starting it.

        Is it possible to use take Oracle tables, transform them to XML (using XSL),
        and then transform them, again, to Framemaker?

        I'm not expecting a comprehensive response, but some kind of direction in
        this matter would be great.

        Thanks

      • Michael Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2000
          On Saturday, July 01, 2000, Paul Hoy wrote:

          > Is it possible to use take Oracle tables, transform them to XML
          > (using XSL), and then transform them, again, to Framemaker?
          >
          > I'm not expecting a comprehensive response, but some kind of
          > direction in this matter would be great.

          Here are a couple of possibilities:

          Oracle > XML: the ODBC2XML tool from XMLmethods.com:

          http://members.xoom.com/gvaughan/odbc2xml.htm

          XML > Frame: James Clark's Jade, a DSSSL engine

          http://www.jclark.com/jade/

          Jade is a DSSSL implementation, not an XSL one, but it has a
          backend that generates MIF, Frame's proprietary markup language.
          (It has other backends for RTF and TeX).

          The MIF files it generates can then be opened, edited, and printed
          in Frame, and resaved as either MIF files or as normal Frame
          binary files.

          -- Mike Smith

          --
          Michael Smith ... xml-doc-owner@egroups.com
          Moderator
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2000
            Michael,

            Thanks for your response. Soon after I emailed the note to the group I
            discovered OpenJade and began experimenting with it immediately. I just have
            to figure out out to make a .dsl file in order to perform the transform.

            As for the ODBC2XML tool you mentioned I about to try it out right now.

            Thanks for your help

            I'll let the group know how things go.

            Cheers
            Paul Hoy

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2000
              I should have added that XMLSpy seems to perform functions similar to those
              of ODBC2XML.XMLSpy can be optained through IBM's developer works.
              Cheers
              Paul Hoy

            • Michael Smith
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
                On Sunday, July 02, 2000, Guru Kamath wrote:

                > My congratulations to you for starting this list. I think it would be
                > appropriate if you'd give a small introduction about yourself -- as this
                > list is just starting. Perhaps, if you maintain a small site, your
                > introduction can be featured there too.

                Well, I'm a technical writer working for a Hewlett-Packard
                subsidiary in Austin, Texas that makes distributed output
                management software. (For anyone who might be curious, I'm also
                responsible for a Web site -- www.logopoeia.com -- that focuses on
                literature and computer-generated poetry. The Emily Dickinson
                Random Epigram Machine -- www.logopoeia.com/ed/ -- is something I
                put together a while back.)

                I started XML-DOC not only to give technical writers a forum for
                focused discussions about XML topics, but also to give XML
                developers and product vendors a clear point of contact with the
                technical writing/documentation community.

                I'm hoping that XML-DOC will build awareness and communication on
                both sides; that is, I hope that (1) it will help to promote XML
                "inside" -- among documentation professionals -- and (2) it will
                also reach outside, to the greater XML community, and help
                developers, product vendors, and so on better understand what kind
                of XML tools and information technical communicators really need.

                -- Mike Smith

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2000
                  Subject: Re: Congrats for this list

                  Mike Smith wrote:

                  >Well, I'm a technical writer working for a Hewlett-Packard
                  >subsidiary in Austin, Texas that makes distributed output
                  >management software. ...
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  >I started XML-DOC not only to give technical writers a forum for
                  >focused discussions about XML topics, ...

                  Many hurrahs.!

                  I've started tech writing 20 years ago, moved into a number of other roles
                  and for the last five years have been back in tech writing. I wrote my
                  first manual with an ASCII editor on a Digital VAX. The text was
                  transferred to a Compugraphic typesetter and pasted up and laid out by a
                  document preparation group. Personally I look forward to XML freeing us
                  from the tyranny of WYSIWYG GUIs like MS Word or Framemaker. I hope to move
                  to working on the source with editors like Homesite or FrontPage and leave
                  the layout and format to the style sheet folks. Hopefully XML will allow us
                  to return to focusing on the content.

                  Later,
                  Steve MacDonald
                  Aspect Communications, Inc.