Out of office, February 19 - March 1

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2001
      I'll be out of the office from today (Feb 19) until Thursday, March 1.

      I'll be speaking at XML DevCon in London on Wednesday afternoon (Mapping
      DTDs to Databases) and Thursday evening (Data Transfer Strategies). If
      any of you are attending that conference, I'd love to meet you.

      In the mean time, keep on supporting each other. I'm glad people are
      starting to do this, as it reduces my support load (currently a couple
      of hours a day) and means I can spend more time on 2.0.

      Thanks,

      -- Ron
    • Nick Loman
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2001
        I'll try and catch you Ronald!

        Thinking about the "update" problem.

        Is it easy to import an XML file to the RDBMS, and then re-export to XML
        it with any keys generated at the import phase being added as an
        attribute?

        Cheers,

        Nick.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2001
          Nick Loman wrote:

          > I'll try and catch you Ronald!
          >
          > Thinking about the "update" problem.
          >
          > Is it easy to import an XML file to the RDBMS, and then re-export to XML
          > it with any keys generated at the import phase being added as an
          > attribute?

          Yes. Just use the same map file. XML-DBMS only transfers columns for
          which there are explicit PropertyMaps in the map file. These don't exist
          for generated keys.

          Note that this touches on one of the main points in the update problem
          -- how to identify which rows have changed. You either need a key
          (which, in the case of generated keys, is database dependent) or before
          and after information (which must uniquely identify the row).

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Nick.
          >
          > On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Ronald Bourret wrote:
          >
          > > I'll be out of the office from today (Feb 19) until Thursday, March 1.
          > >
          > > I'll be speaking at XML DevCon in London on Wednesday afternoon (Mapping
          > > DTDs to Databases) and Thursday evening (Data Transfer Strategies). If
          > > any of you are attending that conference, I'd love to meet you.
          > >
          > > In the mean time, keep on supporting each other. I'm glad people are
          > > starting to do this, as it reduces my support load (currently a couple
          > > of hours a day) and means I can spend more time on 2.0.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > -- Ron

          > > Or join the newsgroup at: news://news.barkto.com/homeless.xml.xml-dbms

          > Or join the newsgroup at: news://news.barkto.com/homeless.xml.xml-dbms

          Programming, Writing, and Training