Re: [xml-dbms] basic MySQLHandler problem

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2006

      1) I can't find datahandlers.MySQLHandler in the CVS tree, even as a
      dead file, so I'm not sure where you got it. In any case, the one in
      external is the correct one.

      2) In general, it's a bad idea to use the CVS code in this project. To
      quote from an earlier message [1]:

      "As a general rule, I do not recommend trying to use the CVS versions of
      XML-DBMS. The reason is that I use CVS as a repository for intermediate
      versions of the product which, while they (supposedly) work, are not
      thoroughly tested and are not guaranteed to be stable with respect to
      design issues. At best you should use the CVS versions as a way to find
      specific fixes to issues and then use these fixes with extreme care. Not
      an ideal situation, but that's the way it goes."

      I've got an even more recent version on my machine that cleans up a lot
      of code and design issues. However, this has never been sent to CVS
      because I ran out of time to finish it when my second child was born.
      That this was almost four years ago should be an indication of the
      likelihood of it ever being completed :(

      The reality is that XML-DBMS is slowly being made obsolete by the XML
      features in relational databases and standards-based products like
      DataDirect's Connect for SQL/XML and their implementation of XQuery over
      relational databases. I intend to continue supporting XML-DBMS
      indefinitely, but I suppose it will go away at some point in time.

      (On the good news side, XML-DBMS is still more feature rich than
      offerings from most database companies, especially with respect to
      inserting / updating / deleting data. When update capabilities are
      finally added to SQL/XML and XQuery and these are implemented by the
      major databases, that will no longer be true, but that is still several
      years off.)