basic MySQLHandler problem

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi,

      Am confused with respect to the following:

      In the xmldbms cvs source there are two copies of MySQLHandler:

      ...datahandlers.external.MySQLHandler.java
      ...datahandlers.MySQLHandler

      (In addition to the one in datahandlers.MySQLHandler - states that its
      in package ...datahandlers.external)

      When I compile these and attempt to use - I am getting errors (see below).

      Can anyone provide more explicit instructions about how to compile
      this code (and where it should be etc)

      thanks

      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation
      problem:

      The declared package "org.xmlmiddleware.xmldbms.datahandlers.external"
      does not match the expected package
      "org.xmlmiddleware.xmldbms.datahandlers"
      at
      org.xmlmiddleware.xmldbms.datahandlers.MySQLHandler.<init>(MySQLHandler.java:20)
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2006
        Hello,

        1) I can't find datahandlers.MySQLHandler in the CVS tree, even as a
        dead file, so I'm not sure where you got it. In any case, the one in
        external is the correct one.

        2) In general, it's a bad idea to use the CVS code in this project. To
        quote from an earlier message [1]:

        "As a general rule, I do not recommend trying to use the CVS versions of
        XML-DBMS. The reason is that I use CVS as a repository for intermediate
        versions of the product which, while they (supposedly) work, are not
        thoroughly tested and are not guaranteed to be stable with respect to
        design issues. At best you should use the CVS versions as a way to find
        specific fixes to issues and then use these fixes with extreme care. Not
        an ideal situation, but that's the way it goes."

        I've got an even more recent version on my machine that cleans up a lot
        of code and design issues. However, this has never been sent to CVS
        because I ran out of time to finish it when my second child was born.
        That this was almost four years ago should be an indication of the
        likelihood of it ever being completed :(

        The reality is that XML-DBMS is slowly being made obsolete by the XML
        features in relational databases and standards-based products like
        DataDirect's Connect for SQL/XML and their implementation of XQuery over
        relational databases. I intend to continue supporting XML-DBMS
        indefinitely, but I suppose it will go away at some point in time.

        (On the good news side, XML-DBMS is still more feature rich than
        offerings from most database companies, especially with respect to
        inserting / updating / deleting data. When update capabilities are
        finally added to SQL/XML and XQuery and these are implemented by the
        major databases, that will no longer be true, but that is still several
        years off.)