know nothing about XML-DBMS.... looking for a good overview

  • hussoona
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 24, 2005
      hi everybody.....

      im a univ student and will have my senior project in XML Database....

      Unfortunatlly, i know nothing about that topic!!!! but i toke the
      database course and i have a good knowledge and background about
      database only.

      wish that i can have any small documents ( small plz :) ) that gives
      a brief explanation about XML database........

      the most important thing that im searching for is .... an example of
      how to modify (update, insert, delet... etc) a small database (in
      Excel or Access or even SQL or Oracle) using XML <== i think thats
      will be a good first step in my project

      wish that there s sombody who can help me ..... thank you :)

      Hussain
    • ravi kiran
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2005
        --- hussoona <hussoona@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        xml-dbms@yahoogroups.com

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

        Hai,

        http://www.w3schools.com

        Use the above link for learning xml....

        Thanks
        Ravikiran

        Thanks & Regards

        Ravikiran Alagandula
        Cognizant Technology Solutions India(P)Ltd,
        Golf View Campus, Bangalore-560 027,
        VNet: 55420 Direct: +91(80)51915420.
        Cell: +91-9342223017

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2005
          Hello,

          I'm not sure what you mean by "XML database". XML interacts with
          databases in two ways.

          When it is used as a data transport -- that is, to transfer data from a
          database to an application or vice versa -- the database is called an
          "XML-enabled database". The software discussed on this list (a product
          named XML-DBMS) is used to "XML-enable" a database. That is, it is used
          to transfer data between XML documents and relational databases.

          The second option is to directly store the XML itself in the database.
          Databases that are designed for this purpose are called "native XML
          databases" or "XML databases". Such databases use a hierarchical data
          model instead of the relational model used by relational databases like
          SQL Server, Oracle, or Access.

          For a more complete discussion of the differences between XML-enabled
          and native XML databases, see chapter 1 of:

          http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg246994.html?Open

          For a general overview of XML and databases, see:

          http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm

          For more information about the XML-DBMS product, see the readme
          documents at:

          http://www.rpbourret.com/xmldbms/readme1x.htm
          http://www.rpbourret.com/xmldbms/readme20.htm

          The first readme document explains the basic ideas about how to use
          XML-DBMS. Although it describes version 1.x, most of the concepts apply
          to version 2.0, which has more features and a slightly different syntax
          for mapping XML to the database.

          Note that there are no standard ways to use XML to insert data into a
          database. However, many products (including XML-DBMS) use roughly the
          same strategy for inserts. Update and delete strategies are much more
          varied.

          -- Ron

          hussoona wrote:

          > hi everybody.....
          >
          > im a univ student and will have my senior project in XML Database....
          >
          > Unfortunatlly, i know nothing about that topic!!!! but i toke the
          > database course and i have a good knowledge and background about
          > database only.
          >
          > wish that i can have any small documents ( small plz :) ) that gives
          > a brief explanation about XML database........
          >
          > the most important thing that im searching for is .... an example of
          > how to modify (update, insert, delet... etc) a small database (in
          > Excel or Access or even SQL or Oracle) using XML <== i think thats
          > will be a good first step in my project
          >
          > wish that there s sombody who can help me ..... thank you :)
          >
          > Hussain
        • hussoona
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
            --- In xml-dbms@yahoogroups.com, ravi kiran <ravik_alagandula@y...>
            wrote:

            > --- hussoona <hussoona@y...> wrote:
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > hi everybody.....
            >
            > im a univ student and will have my senior project in
            > XML Database....
            >
            > Unfortunatlly, i know nothing about that topic!!!! but
            > i toke the
            > database course and i have a good knowledge and
            > background about
            > database only.
            >
            > wish that i can have any small documents ( small plz
            > :) ) that gives
            > a brief explanation about XML database........
            >
            > the most important thing that im searching for is ....
            > an example of
            > how to modify (update, insert, delet... etc) a small
            > database (in
            > Excel or Access or even SQL or Oracle) using XML <== i
            > think thats
            > will be a good first step in my project
            >
            > wish that there s sombody who can help me ..... thank
            > you :)
            >
            > Hussain

            > xml-dbms@yahoogroups.com

            > Terms of Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            >
            > Hai,
            >
            > http://www.w3schools.com
            >
            > Use the above link for learning xml....
            >

            > Thanks
            > Ravikiran

            > Thanks & Regards
            >
            > Ravikiran Alagandula
            > Cognizant Technology Solutions India(P)Ltd,
            > Golf View Campus, Bangalore-560 027,
            > VNet: 55420 Direct: +91(80)51915420.
            > Cell: +91-9342223017

            http://in.messenger.yahoo.com

            thank you verymuch ravia.... i search alot about XML but i didnt find
            any good site as this one ...i will try my best and if i have any
            confusion i will be here ....

            but i think i need somr times... im haveing final exam next week

            anyway .. thank you
          • hussoona
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
              hi,

              first of all... thank you for ur reply....

              then... im new in this field ... i know its diffcult ...but i will
              try my best....

              i think ... as i understood from ur explanation... what i want is
              the "XML-enabled database".... where my aim is:
              im having a relational database and i want to update, delet, and
              modify using XML.... i think its clear now.. isn't it ?

              i did a quick scan over these site that u gave me... but i will drill
              down inside these sites after the final exam next week

              anywya... thank you verymuch :)

              --- In xml-dbms@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@r...>