Location of actions.tdt, filters.dtd and xmldbms2.dtd

  • Scott Bainbridge
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2005
      Hi Ron,

      I am moving my app from a Windows machine to a Unix server. I am using
      xmldbms in a web environment and need to include the DTD files within
      the web folder structure rather than outside the web root.

      On windows I just put them on my desktop and it found them, where should
      I put them on the Unix box and/or how do I tell xmldbms where they are??

      I now have a complex (39 related tables) system working - it works like
      a charm thanks to your software!

      Cheers,

      Scott.

      Scott Bainbridge
      Manager, Information Technology
      Manager, AIMS Data Centre
      Australian Institute of Marine Science
      PMB 3 MC Townsville Qld 4810.

      P: 07 4753 4377
      F: 07 4772 5852
      M: 0417 600 278
      E: s.bainbridge@...

      "Managing IT is like herding cats - any attempt at order only results in
      more chaos"

      The information contained in this communication is for the use of the
      individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
      information which is the subject of legal privilege and/or copyright.
      If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
      sender by return E-Mail and delete the transmission, together with any
      attachments, from your system. Thank you.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2005
        XML-DBMS itself doesn't actually need the DTDs -- they are built into
        the system. The DTDs are used by the XML parser (which is independent of
        XML-DBMS) to validate map, filter, and action documents.

        The surest way for your parser to find the DTDs is to provide the full
        URL leading to them in the DOCTYPE statement. For example:

        <!DOCTYPE XMLToDBMS
        SYSTEM "file://localhost/users/scott/xmldbms/dtds/xmldbms2.dtd">

        or

        <!DOCTYPE XMLToDBMS SYSTEM "http://foo.org/example/xmldbms2.dtd">

        Some parsers also support relative URLs, also allow DTDs to reside in
        the same directory as the XML document. For example:

        <!DOCTYPE XMLToDBMS SYSTEM "xmldbms2.dtd">

        This is nice, as it makes the map, filter, and action documents more
        portable. Unfortunately, last time I looked, Xerces wasn't one of these
        parsers, so it requires the full URL.

        -- Ron

        P.S. I'm glad to hear XML-DBMS is working for you. Thirty-nine tables is
        quite a few and, as performance is not one of XML-DBMS' virtues, I'm
        glad to hear the software can handle them.