Job postings and other spam

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
      This list is increasingly being used for job postings, which is not the
      purpose of the list. Currently, I am banning anyone who posts a job and
      removing the messages from the archive. However, this is largely
      useless, as the messages get posted to the list anyway and the authors
      just get a new Yahoo address next time they want to post.

      There are three possible solutions to this problem:

      1) Continue to do what I am doing.

      2) Set up the list so I approve memberships. I would presumably ask a
      new members a question, such as how they intend to use XML-DBMS, to weed
      out people who just want to post jobs. This would work until people
      figure out how to get around my question.

      3) Set up the list so I approve all messages. This would always work,
      but would mean messages are delayed until I can review them.

      Any opinions?

      -- Ronald Bourret
      List moderator
    • Rick Taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
        Ron,

        I appreciate the work that you and others have done in creating and suppoting XMLDBMS. IMO, you should choose the method that is most convenient to you. At this point, it is almost always clear whether a message is spam or not, I usually can determine whether to delete it by the title. The status quo is occassionally annoying, but not unbearable by any means.

        Thanks,

        Rick Taylor.

        Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@...> wrote:
[...]

        List moderator

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
          Ron,

          Your list seems, so far, to be attracting relatively little "real spam", by
          which I mean the automatic subscriptions (are they really automatic?) which
          have plagued more than a few other Yahoo groups. Job posters are a nuisance but
          they aren't the worst.

          The event which caused me to put some groups that I moderate on "moderator
          approval" of new members was one weekend where some "kind person" subscribed
          another mailing list to two Yahoo groups that I belong to (one of which I
          moderate). That let to a torrent of "You are not subscribed to XXX" messages flooding
          both Yahoo lists as the other mailing list rejected messages from the Yahoo
          groups, which were then echoed back via the Yahoo groups to the rejecting list,
          which were then rejected, and so on. I think I caught the group that I
          moderate at about 200 such messages in a few hours. The other group hit about 400 by
          the time I unsubscribed an hour or two later! Presumably the moderator was
          not checking the list at the weekend.

          Every so often I catch "someone" trying the same trick. Option 2. prevents a r
          epeat.

          If you select option 2. (below) the applicant for membership is asked
          automatically to provide information about why they are applying, if they apply via
          the Web. So that is one less step for you for many applicants.

          Option 2. is an inconvenience for the moderator and the genuine new
          applicant. Option 3. is an inconvenience for the moderator and legitimate list members.
          If you move from option 1. I would suggest option 2. as the preferred option.

          Andrew Watt

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
            Dear all,

            First, thanks to Andrew for the advice. I'm afraid the job postings are
            a genuine irritant to me, even if they are useful to some people.
            Therefore, I have set things up so I have to approve memberships. I
            suppose the only upside to this is that I'll finally get to learn what
            people are using XML-DBMS for :)

            -- Ron
          • Asoke Bhattacharyya
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2004
              Hi All
              :
              Let us decide upon a policy if job and event posting are allowed or, not. I agree it is irritating for us at appropriate times. and xml-dbms list-serve should not be misused. How to go about it?? Let's start a chat!!!

              Asoke

              Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@...> wrote:
              Dear all,

              First, thanks to Andrew for the advice. I'm afraid the job postings are
              a genuine irritant to me, even if they are useful to some people.
              Therefore, I have set things up so I have to approve memberships. I
              suppose the only upside to this is that I'll finally get to learn what
              people are using XML-DBMS for :)

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Thank you and best regards.

              Asoke

              Asoke K. Bhattacharyya
              SimulationAndModeling.com
              eBusiness Course: SimulationAndModeling.com/BuildingeBusiness.html
              Tel:630-850-3240
              e-fax: 309-401-4916