Re: [xml-dbms] v2 Alpha Build Issues with CVS tip from "org" tree

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2004
      rwriddle wrote:

      > Build Issues with current CVS Tree Tip
      >
      > I am new to XML-DBMS and am testing the v2 Alpha as a component of a
      > unit-testing strategy. I am using DB/2 with the DB/2 Universal JDBC
      > Driver. I've had fairly good luck with the alpha of the product and
      > tip my hat to the developers. But I have a few questions about
      > building from the CVS tree.

      As a general rule, I do not recommend trying to use the CVS versions of
      XML-DBMS. The reason is that I use CVS as a repository for intermediate
      versions of the product which, while they (supposedly) work, are not
      thoroughly tested and are not guaranteed to be stable with respect to
      design issues. At best you should use the CVS versions as a way to find
      specific fixes to issues and then use these fixes with extreme care. Not
      an ideal situation, but that's the way it goes.

      > Based on Map generation with createMapFromDatabase that did not work
      > as well with the V3 Alpha pre-packaged binary (particulary with
      > constraint names not being fully implemented in the resulting map), I
      > have instead been using the CVS "org" tree tip versions.
      >
      > 1. The TransferInfo class is still referenced in the classes
      > DBMStoDOM, DBMSDelete, DOMtoDBMS and Transfer, but its source is not
      > include if checking out the CVS tree. I copied over the
      > TransferInfo.java from the source delivered with the Alpha3 binary
      > posted build. Should TransferInfo.java be included in the base
      > checkout or are the wrong versions of the referencing classes in the tree?

      I'm not sure what's going on here. I looked at the sources on
      SourceForge, and the latest versions of all of these classes do not
      mention TransferInfo. According to the check-in comments of all of these
      classes, TransferInfo was renamed to DBEnabledMap.

      (This is also an example of the instability of the CVS versions. The
      next version of XML-DBMS, should I ever find time to complete it,
      eliminates TransferInfo/DBEnabledMap completely, as it's a good example
      of bad design, confusing a map with a connection.)

      > 2. There are two classes whose declarations say that they implement
      > interfaces but which do not provide an implementaion of all the method
      > listed in the versions I have of those interfaces. I am unable to
      > build the source as it checks out. I get compile errors saying that
      > the target class should be declared as Abstract since it does not
      > implement all the methods in the interface.
      >
      > For example:
      >
      > MSAccessConnection.java implements java.sql.Connection. The version
      > of java.sql.Connection I have for 1.3.1 describes 17 methods which
      > MSAccessConnection does not implement. I had to stub them out to
      > build the product. Is there a particular version of the Connection
      > ancestor interface class which does not have this issue?
      >
      > MSAccessDBMetaData.java implements DatabaseMetaData. The version of
      > java.sql.DatabaseMetaData I have describes 29 methods which
      > MSAccessConnection.java does not implement. Is there a particular
      > version of this ancestor interface class which does not have this issue?

      This is due to these classes being compiled against JDK 1.1.x, rather
      than 1.2 or later. You did the correct thing by adding stubs. However,
      you don't need these two classes anyway, as they are only useful when
      generating a map from an Access database.

      Note you will have similar problems with JDBC1DataSource and
      JDBC2DataSource, although these have commented-out stubs already in the
      code.

      -- Ron
    • rwriddle
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        Ron,

        Do you want me to send you the revised files with the stubbed out,
        newer JDK methods so that you do not have to track them down and
        generate the methods?

        -Bob

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2004
          Please do.