The file is not wel- formed

  • Haiying
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002

      I am new to the XML-DBMS. When I attempted to open action.dtd using XML Spy 5.0, I was told that the file was not well-formed. The error message "This file is not well-formed: % expected" appears at the end of every empty element declaration, such as: <!ELEMENT %p; Namespace EMPTY>.

      What is wrong?

      Many thanks,

      haiying

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
        1) When you open action.dtd, are you opening it as an XML document or a
        DTD? Trying to open it as an XML document will definitely lead to
        well-formedness errors. This is because it is a DTD and doesn't have any
        elements in it. I'm not sure what the error message means...

        2) I just noticed a bug in all the version 2.0 DTDs. Because parameter
        entity substitution rules require replacement values to have a single
        space added to each end of the entity value, the resulting element type
        and attribute declarations are invalid, as a space will separate the
        prefix from the element type name. However, you will only hit this bug
        if you change the values of the p and s entities, so most people will
        never encounter it.

        -- Ron