roadmap & java 1.4

  • Fabio Asnicar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2002
      hi.

      I am quite confused.

      Currently my application uses (on SUN Solaris 8):
      - XML-DBMS v1.01
      - java version "1.3.1"

      Now I am working on migration to java 1.4.0

      Which XML-DBMS version can I use?
      * XML-DBMS, Java version 2.0 (Alpha 3) or
      * XML-DBMS, Java version 2.0 (Development version) or
      * XML-DBMS, Java version 1.1 (Beta) ??

      or I will wait version 3.0 ?

      the roadmap of XML-DBMS develop is not so clear to me...

      many thanks,
      FA_
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2002
        You can use any version you want. However, I suggest you continue to use
        v1.01 until you need the capabilities found in v2.0. Then you should use
        v2.0 alpha 3 (or whatever the released version of v2.0 is).

        Version 1.1 was an intermediate version that was never really released.
        Many parts of it are included in v2.0. The rest is a general XML
        processing framework and can be found at:

        http://www.xmlmiddleware.net

        By "XML-DBMS, Java version 2.0 (Development version)", I assume you mean
        the current version on the CVS tree. You can also use this, but I think
        it is better to use the currently released version, since that include
        (some) documentation, samples, etc.

        -- Ron

        Fabio Asnicar wrote:

        > Currently my application uses (on SUN Solaris 8):
        > - XML-DBMS v1.01
        > - java version "1.3.1"
        >
        > Now I am working on migration to java 1.4.0
        >
        > Which XML-DBMS version can I use?
        > * XML-DBMS, Java version 2.0 (Alpha 3) or
        > * XML-DBMS, Java version 2.0 (Development version) or
        > * XML-DBMS, Java version 1.1 (Beta) ??
        >
        > or I will wait version 3.0 ?
      • Fabio Asnicar
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
          ok,
          but MapFactory_MapDocument class uses org.xml.sax.Parser that in JAVA
          1.4 is deprecated
          (from org.xml.sax.Parser API:
          Deprecated. This interface has been replaced by the SAX2 XMLReader
          interface, which includes Namespace support.
          )

          and someone says that the "SAX Parser bundled with Sun's J2SE SDK-1.4.0 is
          fastest"
          (http://www.pankaj-k.net/xpb4j/docs/Measurements-May30/measurements-May30-2002.html#MeasurementConclusions)

          ciao,
          FA_

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
            That is correct. This is because v1.x was written before SAX 2.0 was
            created. Although Parser and other SAX 1.0 interfaces are deprecated,
            they still work.

            Version 2.0 uses SAX 2.0.

            -- Ron

            Fabio Asnicar wrote:

            > ok,
            > but MapFactory_MapDocument class uses org.xml.sax.Parser that in JAVA
            > 1.4 is deprecated
            > (from org.xml.sax.Parser API:
            > Deprecated. This interface has been replaced by the SAX2 XMLReader
            > interface, which includes Namespace support.
            > )
            >
            > and someone says that the "SAX Parser bundled with Sun's J2SE SDK-1.4.0 is
            > fastest"
          • Tim
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1 2:53 AM
              Hi Ron,

              I looked in the code for getting the meta data for the connection and it returns 1 as the max statements per conncetion for the Informix JDBC Driver, to test things out I changed this to 10, and ran the program. It completed successfully and returned an XML document which I was able to put on my MQSeries queue. If the driver seems to work with more than one statement per connection why would it return 1 as its max. Are there hidden dangers in what I have done (Apart from it being a horrible hack).

              Thanks for your help.

              Tim

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1 3:26 AM
                This looks like a driver bug. These are fairly common in implementations
                of the DatabaseMetaData class, presumably since the docs are vague.

                You might want to check the Informix documentation and see if there are
                any restrictions on the number of result sets you can have open on a
                single connection (this is what max active statements really means). If
                there are no restrictions, then change the return value to 0, which
                means "no restrictions".

                While I make no guarantees, I can't think of any dangerous problems this
                can cause. If there really is a limit, the code will simply hit it and
                throw an exception.

                -- Ron

                Tim wrote:

                > Hi Ron,
                >
                > I looked in the code for getting the meta data for the connection and it returns 1 as the max statements per conncetion for the Informix JDBC Driver, to test things out I changed this to 10, and ran the program. It completed successfully and returned an XML document which I was able to put on my MQSeries queue. If the driver seems to work with more than one statement per connection why would it return 1 as its max. Are there hidden dangers in what I have done (Apart from it being a horrible hack).
              • xxx_oneill
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1 4:09 AM
                  Hi Ron,

                  Thanks again, I think I will go this route as I need this finished in
                  a week or two and don't really want to lose the functionality that
                  xml-dbms provides. The DB is being migrated to Oracle in the new year
                  so these problems will go away then anyway.

                  Regards,

                  Tim

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1 4:21 AM
                    One last comment is that you can test this by creating a series of
                    nested tables:

                    t1 (t1_pk, t1_data)
                    t2 (t2_pk, t1_fk, t2_data)
                    t3 (t3_pk, t2_fk, t3_data)

                    Map these so that you get the following XML document:

                    <t1>
                    <data>xxx</data>
                    <t2>
                    <data>xxx</data>
                    <t3>
                    <data>xxx</data>
                    </t3>
                    </t2>
                    </t1>

                    Since XML-DBMS opens one result set per nesting level when retrieving
                    data, you can easily test the maximum number of "active statements". As
                    long as this number is greater than or equal to the maximum depth of
                    your production documents, you won't hit any troubles in your production
                    system.

                    -- Ron