Re: [xml-dbms] Can you get a DB Server to list DB's?

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2002
      I'm not aware of any JDBC calls to do this. Since a JDBC connection URL
      roughly equates to a "database", this isn't surprising, as it would
      require the machine at the end of one URL to know something about the
      machiens at the end of other URLs.

      If there is a way to do this, it is presumably DBMS-specific.

      -- Ron

      adam flinton wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > I am just pottering about with the GUI / MapBuilder thing. What I would like
      > to be able to do is to hook the mapbuilder up to a given db server & get a
      > listing of the databases it has (rather than have to know the name of the db
      > before hand).
      >
      > Is there a way via jdbc or would every db server type (e.g. DB2,Oracle,
      > Sybase, PostGreSQL, MySQL etc.etc.) need it's own implementation?
    • adam flinton
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2002

        I know but it's obviously possible as both the DB2 & Oracle GUI COnfig
        things are Java.

        It seems a little silly not to have some form of "DB Discovery" built into
        JDBC e.g. the URL less the actual Database name + the dirver & you should be
        able to get a listing.

        Oddly it does work with MySQL & Sybase as they (in effect) think of Catalogs
        as Databases.

        Adam